This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

tempature gauge

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bjgravley
10+ Years
10+ Years

tempature gauge

Postby bjgravley » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:43 pm

i was wondering if any one has put a tempature gauge on ther cub and if so where do you put it thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:11 pm

Never put one on a cub, but the sender fits in the lower water pipe. You'll see the flat cirlce where the hole goes. 8) The guage should go in the dash beside the ammeter. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:25 pm

Wouldn't you want the temperature of the coolant coming out of the engine, rather than the radiator?

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:32 pm

I would have thought a sending unit would need to go near the outlet not where the cooler water is coming in. I'll have to look at where one is in a car. Just went out and I see where it is. Just seems strange to me. Is that where it is on a A too :?: I was going to put one in before I decided to keep mine 6 volt. Do they make a 6v temp gage :?:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:24 pm

Cowboy wrote:I would have thought a sending unit would need to go near the outlet not where the cooler water is coming in.

That is the outlet that Bud is talking about. Its the pipe that bolts to the block under the Mag that the lower radiator hose attaches to. My power-unit engine already has a tapped hole with a plug there and it sure made it handy to flush & clean. I screwed an air hose male fitting into that hole and attached a rubber hose to it to save making a big rusty mess.
Then came Bronson

RAW in IA
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 50662

Postby RAW in IA » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:53 am

I've never seen one on a Cub, but the C dad had had the temp guage hooked up in the return circuit. Never got off cold unless the water got low and quit circulating. By then it was too late. I have wanted to put on in the top outlet on my Cub, but haven't gotten aroung to it.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:09 am

Cowboy,
I believe all of these temp gauges use thermocouples and no electric is needed, so it doesn't matter what the voltage is. On ebay these gauges are sold new for over $30.00 + sometimes. Tractor Supply sells them for ~$25.00 all the time.
Larry

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:09 am

I am going to pull the hood and retorque the head today. I may have to go to TSC and check on that gage Larry. As far as I can see Raw is right and any reading on that lower water pipe would be too late to do much good. Have to see if I can do somthing with the upper radiator pipe. That plug that they were talking about by the oil filter would seem to be a good place for one but as it is not known if it really goes into the water jacket I am not going to tack a chance on drilling ane tapping that as I do not have a plug there to take out. If I can work somthing out I will let you know. Because I really want a temp gage too.
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:13 am

Actually, the lower pipe will warn of plugged radiator (internal or external), which is the most common cause of overheating.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:25 am

Too many decisions for me just have to put in two and I can see haow hard I'm working it by waching the in temp and out temp :oops:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:13 am

Keep in mind that with no water pump or thermostat, the Cub engine temperature profile will be different than the typical automotive situation with a pump and thermostat. The major reason tmeperature gauges were put on tractors at all was to help the operator manually control the temperature with the shutters. Having the gage sender in the inlet pipe put the feedback indication as close as possible to the control point. Shutters were usually on distillate engines and Cubs were never equiped with shutters or distillate equipment.

Watching for steam from the radiator is still as good (or maybe better) overheat indicator for the Cub as a gage in any location.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:08 pm

Thanks Jim

I can see now why it is setup that way and it makes sense. I guss my main concern is loss of circurlation. If you have a massive loss of coolant you will be able to see it. If there is a small leak you may miss it and without a pump once the coolant level drops below the top of the cores the circulation of coolant stops and the temp will shoot up. and you can't just let it idle and cool down. I know they have been working great for fifty some years but I like to worry.

I have been running heavy equ for ten + years and I always check the coolant first then engine oil, hyd oil, trans and leaks on the ground before I fire up. With a dozer etc when it over heats you are soposed to let it run at a idle untill it cools down before sutting it down unless you have a massive coolant loss. Even after cutting the lawn I let the cub idle five to ten minutes before shutting it down. The company I worked for last year the mechinacs start and shut off all the equ and I got in trouble the first day because I shut down my excavator after I got it greased (aboyt 20 minutes) and the mechinac said in 90+ degree weather he will let the rock trucks idle for over a hour to cool the trans and hyd's down before he shuts them down.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:26 pm

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:19 pm

:{_}: I like It. We should make one. What should we use as the medalion part. The circle cub emblom :?:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:05 pm

I've seen those beforoe, and thought about one, burt with my luck, the first time I used the cub a low limb would remove it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”