This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

HARD STARTING CUB

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

HARD STARTING CUB

Postby Maritimer » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:18 pm

GRRRRRRRR, my cub is hard to start! I thought it was the battery,so I went out and bought a new 6 volt. It starts fine on 12volt but 6v, it acts like the battery is dead. ANy ideas what the problem could be? It turns over hard on 6v. I was thinking the starter might have to be rebuilt or the timing is a little behind or advanced causing it to drag a little. It starts so good on 12v though, could it be the timing? HELP! :?
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:26 pm

The most likely source of your problems is cables and grounds. Many, if not most cubs have had at least the ground cables replaced over the years. They usually get replaced with lighter gauge 12 volt cables. Clean both ends of both cables. If you have cables with those replaceable bolt on ends they are especially poor conductors after a short period of time. If it still turns over slowly after cleaning and / or replacing the cables, check the starter switch and have the starter bench tested.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:35 pm

Thanks bigdog, I'll give that I try. Can I check the starter switch? Or do I get the shop to do that when he checks the starter, If it goes that far. I just got thinking, I had to rebuild the bat box(with fiberglass) in areas. This just could be the problem.
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:57 pm

Try using some good jumper cables to parallel your battery cables. Making sure you get a good ground will solve most problems. If you do not feel comfortable disassembling the starter switch, the shop that checks the starter will be able to check the switch as well. I'm betting on the cables.
Bigdog

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04664
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby Vern Campbell » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:52 pm

I think you'll find that Bigdog is right. The best thing I did to improve the starting on my '55 was to replace the cables using the setup Bigdog has posted on this forum. The flat ground strap was especially slick. After I was done, the little engine spins over on 6v just like it was a 12v. :D
Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:57 pm

Mike:

I agree with Vern and Big Dog. The ground strap has proved to be an invaluable addition and Ellie starts usually on the first pull of the starter. Even with me being laid up all winter and her being stored outside and not getting any runnin since November, she started right up last week.

Ground and proper cable size will make a big difference. And if it starts on 12v but not on 6v I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the problem is either ground, cable size or a bit of both.

Let us know :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:25 pm

Allright , so would it matter if the cable is a bit large than what is suposed to be on it? I have some 2/0 cable that I have for my H, can I put this on it? I'm quite sure that the cable that was on it was half of this size.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:43 pm

Bigger cables will not hurt anything at all.
Bigdog

Return to “Farmall Cub”