This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic pumps...(big versus small)

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Hydraulic pumps...(big versus small)

Postby Phazer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:22 am

OK . . . here's another newbie question. I've seen on eBay at different times, two different hydraulic pumps. One listed as "large" and one listed as "small", with what I would assume the "small" being the most common.

1. What advantage is the large over the small?

2. Are they interchangable?

3. If so, does anyuthing else need to be changed?

4. Is either one more reliable than the other?

BTW . . . I have no options on the tractor besides a belly mower.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

B Shaver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22802
Tractors Owned: Cletrac HG-42 1945
Oliver HG-68 1946
M-F MF50 1959
IH 184 Loboy 1977
Farmall F Cub 1949
Farmall Cub 1957
No 1 Platform Carrier
L-F194 Plow

Re: Hydraulic pumps...(big versus small)

Postby B Shaver » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 am

I have worked some with the hydraulics on different sized cranes and winches, so I hope this will help.
Hydraulic pumps require lots of power to move the fluid. So if your only working a small cylincer like the one on a 185, 184 I'd stick with a small pump. I have a Oliver crawler with a crankshaft mounted pump that delivers only 4 or 5 gpm at low RPM's , low pressure and the two small cylinders work fine. If you were going to be working with large cylinders you would need a large pump (for volume) and more power.

Bill Shaver
IHCC of Virginia, Chapter 41

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phazer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 am

THANKS ! ! !

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Landreo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:30 am

One of the serial number experts will post with when the change over occured but if you have a pump now you can just look at it and see. Smaller Cessna, Larger Warner pump. Each should bolt into place but the lines may be too short if you put a small in place of a large. I don't know of any advantages or disadvantages to each and the large/small may only refer to the physical size not necessary to the output. You may want to look on the manual server or wait until you get a few more replies before ordering anything.

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Phazer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:41 am

I wasn't going to change, (unless there was a BIG advantage). It was more a curiosity thing more. I've got the small one on there now and was "long term thinking" that if ever went bad I'd go with the big one. Even thought one was found out to be a throw-away type and the other was worth rebuilding. Yes, this is on a numbered loboy.

I never thought about being the same capacity/output.

THANKS . . .

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”