This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new member with ignition - and carb questions

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kellytheaker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: N0B2K0

new member with ignition - and carb questions

Postby kellytheaker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:11 am

Thanks for the education with previous posts and manuals. I recently purchased a carb kit and battery cover from the dealer and sent both back - the kit was $96 and the battery cover 174 , I just cannot justify the gouging . I have read posts of rebuilders on the site and thanks for the previous how to. The unit is running and i continue to massage it - in hopes that it will handle the grass chores . I did notice it runs well on 90 octane and when you introduce the deck to the motor it sometimes does not recover from govenor . Fuel bowl level good , govenor moving to compensate . timing good . I am not currently having any start problems but is electroni ignition a good change to make and who produces such a kit or is there a performance benefit ? thanks again for all the imput from the years of experience on this board - making it simpler for the next . By the way i did make a call to Cecil over a carb rebuild and he was excellent in his quick advise and i wanted to send the carb and went on to trans , oil, brakes and now i am back at making it run excellent -

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: new member with ignition - and carb questions

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am

Welcome.

Which model Cub do you own?

Lack of power. Conduct a complete tune up including compression test, valve tappet clearance, etc.

90 octane fuel. No need to use the expensive stuff. Plain old regular 87 octane gasoline is fine.

Electronic ignition. Standard ignition system works quite well. My opinion, the electronic ignition system is not worth the added expense. Others have noticed an increased performance with the electronic ignition.

Plus, the electronic ignition system will not solve other engine problems.
I have an excuse. CRS.

kellytheaker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: N0B2K0

Postby kellytheaker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:37 pm

a 154 model 3160 deck

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Kelly:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

As I have mentioned before I don't have a lot of stuff on the server for the Numbered Series Lo-Boys but I do have some stuff on the 154 and there is the Parts Catalog for the IH 3160 Rotary Mower. Hope that is helpful.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”