This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Should I buy this, or not?

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Daniel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15425

Should I buy this, or not?

Postby Daniel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Im new to this forum, but not new to a forum. My friend has a 195x Farmall 200 for sale. It comes with a 2 blade plow, and a set of discs. The tractor runs, its just a little rusty and could use a paint job. There asking price ie 2000$.. is it worth it?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Should I buy this, or not?

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:43 pm

It's difficult to answer a question like this without seeing the tractor and hearing it run, but it's likely not worth that much.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Daniel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15425

Postby Daniel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Don McCombs wrote:It's difficult to answer a question like this without seeing the tractor and hearing it run, but it's likely not worth that much.

Well for as the running part, I heard it run, runs like a champ.. No problems.. I can help with the picture thing though.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Having seen the photo, it still seems high to me. Here is a list of things to look for when buying a Cub. They should be equally appropriate for this tractor.

What things should I look at when inspecting a Cub for possible purchase?
Other than the usual things that you would check on any tractor or automobile, smoke from the engine, either from the exhaust or the breather, oil pressure, loose steering, tire condition etc.), these are some of the areas where you are most likely to find a need for repairs.

Check for freeze and stress cracks:

Engine block: high on the side, ahead of the oil filter, and at the front where block bolts to front casting, check both sides.
Head: on the top surface
Front casting: across the front, at the lower edge of the grille, or the horizontal surface directly in front of the radiator, also check for cracks just in front of where the casting bolts to the block. You should also inspect the area around the bolt holes, where the engine and casting bolt together, as the ears sometimes are cracked.
Check that the brakes work, that the brake drums have not come loose on the axle.

Check the transmission to see if it goes into each gear smoothly, and stays in gear when the tractor is moving. This is especially true of first and reverse.

Check that the PTO will engage, disengage and hold.

Check the final drive housings for cracks, areas prone to cracks are the flanges, where the housings bolt around the brakes, and attach to the transmission case, or the flange at the axle housing extension. I have also seen final drive housings with stress cracks at the top of the casting.

Try to make sure that all of the hardware required to mount any included implements is in fact included.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:55 am

To high I think!!!! keep looking.Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:57 pm

It comes down to how bad you want it.

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:02 pm

Around these parts that may be a bit high, but is it exactly what you are looking for? If you look around and are willing to travel , you can most likely find a better deal cash wise Whatever you decide to do , consider the purchase price plus the cost to put it in the condition you would like and see if it suites your needs. The lowest purchase price does not always mean the best value in the long run. Good luck.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:09 pm

My questions.
1. What do you want a tractor for - to do?
2. Will the 200 do what you want?
3. Would a bigger tractor do the same tasks, easier, faster?
4. What are tractors equiped with hydraulics, pto, 3 point, in the size you need, going for in your area?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”