This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator Casting Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Andy48KY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Radiator Casting Question

Postby Andy48KY » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:23 pm

I am finishing an engine rebuild and as always one thing leads to another.
I thought I would remove the radiator and clean out years of accumutated gunk. I was right the casting had about an inch of slime in the bottom. Now for the question. On the front casting that the radiator bolts to, is the forward flange supposed to be slightly higher in the center than the rear flange. This is a 48 model and it is possible that somewhere along the line it has frozen or are they all made that way? There are no visable signs of any cracks but while sanding for paint prep, in the area above the hand crank hole there seems to be JB Weld or bondo. From the inside I cant see any repairs, it looks normal. It hasn't leaked and I have had it for about 4 years. Do you think the slime was stop leak? I guess I will just put it back together and see what happens. Any comments are appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:41 pm

It is supposed to be level front & back. The slime is pretty normal in a tank that has not been cleaned in years.
Then came Bronson

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:51 pm

Andy,

Under the front flange, right in the center, is a strengthening member between the flange and the crank tunnel. Not really very big, but if it is broken you'll know there was frost damage. The flange was originally straight, but maybe your radiator has conformed to its' new shape. :lol:

I hope I have remembered it right. :? I haven't been there in a while.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Andy48KY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Andy48KY » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:28 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I will check were you suggest George and I bet I will find the evidence there, sounds like a hard place to look but I have a small inspection mirror and will check it out tomorrow. I'll let you know what I see

Return to “Farmall Cub”