This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Whats Wrong With My Corn Bread ?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
littleflower
10+ Years
10+ Years

corn bread

Postby littleflower » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:53 pm

Well guys, if my grandmother was alive, I'd ask her how she did it. She made the best cornbread! I have her recipe and several others, but I have the same problem. Sometimes it's just right and other times it ends up as corn bread stuffing later on in the week because it crumbles. I haven't figured it out either. I'm guessing it's a combination of the right amout of oil or shortening and not baking it too long.
Fleurette

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Stick of butter

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:17 am

Hi, C'est Noelle femme de pat

We both just love cooking and would love to try some of your recepies but some terms just don't translate,

Can you please tell me how much a stick is???

The way to a man's heart is through his tummy!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:18 am

In the USA, butter is commonly packaged in a 1 pound package. This package is divided into 4 inner packages of 1/4 pound each. A "stick" is slang (vernacular) for a 1/4 pound inner package.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:27 am

It also equals 1/2 cup in standard cooking measurement.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Cup

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:11 pm

Et les tasses en france sont tous different en taille.
Yes french cups are all different in size, now I know how much an american cup full weighs, Merci
Noelle

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:53 pm

I Had no idea that there would be so many Men so pationate about corn bread. There used to be a water driven Mill about a mile away from my house that cut wood and ground corn once a year for a get together they used to have I was probly about 6 or 7 and would make sure I got as many of those little brown Bags full of ground corn as I could becuase I knew there would be fresh muffIns for breakfast the next day. I just love my CORNBREAD AND MUFFINS.
MagMan

Wise Owl
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Wise Owl » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:19 pm

Well guys, I would like to tell you that you are more than welcome to post recipes and such or offer suggestions or inputs to the Better Half Forum. This is the right place for it as I am sure the ladies don't mind and are probably enjoying this as much as I am. This is what we call the sharing of ideas. And cooking and eating of such cooking products is much enjoyed by most.

"Any of you ladies interested in my Great-Grandmother's recipe for pumpkin bread? We've been enjoying it for 60 yrs or more...I've been making it since she passed on in 1987." from Marion(57 Loboy)

Yes Marion(57 Loboy), please post your Great-Grandmother's recipe for pumpkin bread. I for one would love to try it. It is always interesting to try some of the great family classics. Make it a new thread ok.

Emilie

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon May 02, 2005 6:34 am

Hey Guys & GALS...The secret to good tastin' cornbread is simple :wink: .

1) Only use White Lilly cornbread mix...OR White Lilly corn muffin mix (both made right here in Knoxville, TN).

2) Only make cornbread in a seasoned, cast iron skillet.

3) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees...(place your seasoned skillet...pre-greased with bacon fat or Crisco in the oven while preheatin').

4) 1/3 cup of milk + 1 egg (beaten) + 1 package White Lilly mix.

5) Use wire wisk to blend ingrediants together (don't overbeat).

6) Remove pre-heated skillet...add mixture...replace in oven for 20 minutes. Use toothpick in center of cornbread to test if it's done. When tooth pick comes out of center of bread CLEAN (no wet mix on it)...IT's READY!

7) Remove from oven...use cake rack rested on top of skillet to remove cornbread when you turn the skillet upside down. Turn the cornbread over on it's rightside up on the cake rack and let her rest for 20 or 30 minutes before serving! YUUUUUMMMM :wink: !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”