This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Got a new toy for my M

Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450 & 560 Tractors, 1939-1963
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
56cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15057
Circle of Safety: Y

Got a new toy for my M

Postby 56cub » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:48 pm

A while ago a family member told me that I could have an old plow that was sitting in the weeds on their farm. Today I finnaly got a chance to go and get it. I am pretty sure that it is a little genius 2-14 plow.

This plow has been sitting in the same spot for the last 20 years at least and it was most likely longer. It was sunk into the ground up to the bottom of the plows. Well today that all changed lol.

When we got ready to pull it out I thought that the plow was going to be too rusted to move and fight us the whole way. Believe it or not though it just rolled right out of the ground with a slight pull from my truck. All the wheels move like it was just used yesterday #2thumbs . The hardest part was getting it loaded on the trailer.

After I got it home and unloaded, I got right to work at freeing up the depth levers and some other small stuff. I actually got it all to move and the trip mechanism to raise and lower the plow. I also decided to drain the gearbox and when I removed the drain plug I got a ton on clean water out of it. It is amazing that the casting never craked from freezin gin the many winters it sat out. I also got a bunch of nasty oily sludge that drained out in nasty black globbs :shock:. I would of put some more oil back in but hte fill plug is stuck and won't bugde. So toorrow I will figure out how to put some more oil in and try plowing with it.

I got really luckly with this being free and then not having not much work to do to get it ready to try plowing with lol.

Here are some pictures of it.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Got a new toy for my M

Postby Former Member » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:37 am

It truly is amazing that it sat, stuck in the ground, and the wheels and the bottoms of the plows are not rusted off.

The points on it look great. :big afro:

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Nice snag Matt !!
And good job getting it all moving...
Put Kroil on that plug a few times.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Matt:

That is a really nice toy for the M :D

And it is pretty cool that it was essentially all free and not stuck like one would have expected. Enjoy playing with it. Like having a generational tractor, generational implements mean much the same and generate much the same feelings. You are pretty lucky. Yeah, add kroil to that plug it should help break it free shortly.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm

56cub wrote:The hardest part was getting it loaded on the trailer.

I just re-looked at the photos...unique way of putting it on the trailer!!...smart thinking. :D
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:21 pm

Your M should play with that!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

56cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 56cub » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:06 pm

I got the plug lose today. Yesterday I heated around it with a small propane torch and put some kroil on it. Then later I took a pipe wrench and put it on the plug and gave it a pull. To my suprise it came lose.

It is amazing how well they built things back then. This plow is way overbuilt for what is needed for. Over all that thime it sat the only things that rusted through where the rods that attached the pins and levers for depth adjustment and the spring to engage the trip/lift gears. Also the levers for the adjusting levers are really rusty and worn out but hte should work for now.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:11 am

Nice.
Cant beat the price, we paid $50 for ours scrap price
Are you planning to restore.
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:30 pm

Great pics!!! I see now what you mean on the hus and rails on the trailer.That took a lot of the shock[2x4s].A lot of cleaning and painting,should looh real good.Kevin :shock: :shock: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: Ya gonna need a bigger yard!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

56cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 56cub » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:18 pm

I do plan to restore this someday but In the sping I will paint it just to help preserve it. I also found ou that it is a case plow and not a IH plow.

Return to “Farmall M, Super M, 400, 450, & 560”