This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Head Milling for a little more power out of a C-60 Engine

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Head Milling for a little more power out of a C-60 Engine

Postby b52c130 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:27 pm

Got a little more power out of the C-60 engine by shaving .085" off the head.

This is a C-60 engine installed in a Loboy 184. Later model engine with aluminum dome topped pistons.

Removed head and measured piston dome to head clearance of approximately .120" using balled up aluminum foil to crush as the piston was manually run threw top dead center. Valve clearance was so great that it did not needed to be measured. Had machine shop remove .085" from the head.

Got new Grade 8 head bolts from an on-line hardware store (About $10 -$15) and installed newly milled head using Teflon plumbers pipe dope on the head bolt threads.

By the SOP (Seat of Pants) dynometer, the tractor seems to have more power than before. Total cost was between $100 and $125.

The only other adjustment that needed to be done was that the idle mixture screw had to be made a little richer after the compression was increased.

This was done to a 184 tractor running at 7,300 foot elevation in Colorado. Since the air is so thin at only 11 PSI verses 14.2 PSI at sea level, this change certainly wouldn't overtax the design limits for the engine.

Just thought that I would pass the results along to anyone on the forum that might be interested. NJDale

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Head Milling for a little more power out of a C-60 Engin

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Where in Colorado? :D

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:52 pm

There was a high altitude modification of a Cub. Guess you did one for a number series.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby b52c130 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Bob,
In Aspen Park, one of the 'Homestead' subdivisions.
Dale

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby b52c130 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:03 pm

Bill,
Yes, there was supposedly a different head number offered for the 'flat-top' cast iron piston engine - good luck on ever trying to find that head in the 'used' market place. No 'high-altitude' head number was ever offered for the aluminum dome topped engine (as far as I can tell).

At the 7,300 feet elevation the C60 is very anemic; of course the engine needs a ring and bearing job, but that is a 'next year' project.

Thanks, Dale

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:53 pm

I also notice with these tractors sitting for long peroids of time the valve guides can get dry along with the piston rings sticking. This can suck gobs of power from a good engine. I run seafoam and high test gas and after one tank full the rpm is much higher at an idle. This tells me the engine is happy, happy with the seafoam treatment. They respond much better too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”