This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmhall A Lift all system/Exhaust Lift

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmhall A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17555

Farmhall A Lift all system/Exhaust Lift

Postby Farmhall A » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Dose anyone know much on the A Exhaust Lift i resently bought one for $20.00. I got the cylinder working after going to a harnet shop geting new seals made. As far as i know i have the check valve everything or so i think.

photos
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81733

The only problem is how do i engauge it/get to work? under my steering colom i have a vacume powerd safty mechanisom as soon as i start the tractor an engauge my Exhaust manifold it unlocks by vacume an releses the lift leaver.
I know im not being very clear but i cant exsplain it much better.

also it seems i cant put photos down an is saying my files are to big?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Farmhall A Lift all system/Exhaust Lift

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:13 pm

If you go here
http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/exhaust%20lift/
you can download a manual for the lift.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

spaceghost
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02346
Tractors Owned: 1959 Cub lo-boy
1950 super A

Postby spaceghost » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Am I missing something :shock: What is a Farmhall?
Bacon makes everything better.
1959 LO-Boy 1950 Super A

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:18 am

Farmhall is a tractor owned by someone that took typing lessons from me. :lol:

Farmhall A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Farmhall A » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:22 am

ehhh lol it got my point across didn't it. i couldnt use farmall in my name so i copied an pasted :oops:

This helps some but my presssure release is diffrint than the one shown down below V

http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/ex ... g%2011.JPG

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:45 pm

You have the early style control handle. Both are illustrated in the Farmall A parts catalog. Your latch operates by pressure, not vacuum. Just hold the handle back while it lifts. I wrote an article explaining the system that ran in the Sept-Oct 2003 Red Power Magazine. That issue is still available as a back issue. (deliberate plug)

Farmhall A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Farmhall A » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:11 pm

are there two handles to run the lift like the other newer style leaver?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:37 pm

I don't understand the question.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:00 am

There are several components needed to operate the lift that I don't see in your pics. Two that come to mind are the control valve and the pressure valve. Do you have these :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Farmhall A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Farmhall A » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Yeah i have the pressure valve i jest rebult it it was rough. i had the control valve my tractor at sometime during its life had a lift on it an it works.

Jim@ dose it look like im missing anything on my old style control handle? i have the piece that goes to my valve.

Farmhall A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Farmhall A » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Is the farmall A/Exhaust Lift combo really worth anything? or hard to find im told they are. An if they arnt its still one good challenge an interesting one at that.
Now i was told that the reason they used the Exhaust Lift is because of hydrolic fluid during 1939-1947 was not cheep. i was wondering about this an any info would help.

Thanks

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:28 pm

It looks like you have the entire early style control handle. Look at the parts breakdown in the tractor's parts catalog. It is all shown there.

The hydraulic oil expense story is incorrect. I'm not sure hydraulic oil even existed in the 1940s. The IH systems of the time used non-detergent motor oil.

Farmhall A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Farmhall A » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:46 am

The only reason i brought it up was that my friend has a 1939 Allis Chalmer B with Hydraulics thow they probly were add ons over the years. Thats new to me i dident know they used non-detergent motor oil.
Thanks

Dave H (MI)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48380
Tractors Owned: 1944 Ford 2N
1947 Farmall B
1949 Farmall Super AV
1954 Farmall Super MTA
1956 International TD-6
1957 IH Cub LoBoy
1989 Ford 1520

Postby Dave H (MI) » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:15 am

Farmhall A wrote:Dose anyone know much on the A Exhaust Lift i resently bought one for $20.00. I got the cylinder working after going to a harnet shop geting new seals made. As far as i know i have the check valve everything or so i think.

photos
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81733

The only problem is how do i engauge it/get to work? under my steering colom i have a vacume powerd safty mechanisom as soon as i start the tractor an engauge my Exhaust manifold it unlocks by vacume an releses the lift leaver.
I know im not being very clear but i cant exsplain it much better.

also it seems i cant put photos down an is saying my files are to big?

I ordered the back issue of Red Power that has the excellent article by Jim. I would recommend you do the same. In addition, if you post this over on the YT forums in the IH section there is a guy there named Bender who knows a lot about these and can help you get parts. He has provided me with a lot of parts over the years and has always been fair.
Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:32 am

Farmhall A wrote:......... Thats new to me i dident know they used non-detergent motor oil.
Thanks
Jim can answer this better than I, but I do not think IH used Hydraulic oil till around 49 or so. Early cubs used the non detergent motor oil in the touch control, as well as it being used in the Liftall on the H and M. Dad always told me it was non detergent because the detergent type would cause the cups on the cylinders to curl and deteriorate a lot worse than the non detergent oil. I do not know where he got his information, or if it was accurate, but he showed me a cup form the cylinder on our cultivator that had curled and cracked in just a few months after a neighbor borrowed it and used it on a tractor with detergent oil in the lift. I suspect with modern materials and oil it would not be a problem, but both the rubber used in the cylinders and the additives in oil are a lot different than what was used in the late 30s and 40s.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”