This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cutting Torch Opinions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Cutting Torch Opinions

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:07 pm

I have been looking for one of those small portable oxy/acetylene torch sets...the one with the 20# oxy tank and 10# acetylene...
I didn't want a "full" size set, so I could move it around or take it with me easily.
Just something for heating bolts/nuts and to do a little cutting or bending occasionally.

A fellow offered me a 'mid-sized' set for $200...torch, hoses, tanks, cart. [empty tanks].
I haven't seen it yet...about an hour away from me.
He said the oxy tank is about 3 feet tall.

Does anybody have experience with this size setup?
Mainly with the portability?
Anything I should look out for?

Thanks guys.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Cutting Torch Opinions

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:16 pm

Dave,

Make sure the hoses are in good shape...no cracks, cuts or splits. Make sure the inspection on the tanks is current. If they're out of date, most places won't fill them. If there is gas in the tanks, make him set it up and light it. That will tell you if the regulators are working properly. I will PM you a link later, that you should read before you go look at them. It's not working at the moment.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:17 pm

Ask if he owns the tanks cause if its there rentals when you go for an exchange it needs to come up as an owner tank and not rental if its a rental and not in your name they will keep the tanks and contact the rightful owner.

that said I have a Firepower set up its a good name brand a small cart and easy to move around and a B tank acetelene and a 60 Oxy tank I own both tanks and have been trading them in for over twenty years, I always say I need bigger tanks but have not yet broke out the wallet if I could go back in time Id have bought bigger tanks.

dennisbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62082
Tractors Owned: two 47 two 48 53 and a 72 another 53

Postby dennisbushnell » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:30 pm

The small portables are handy,I have one but if your going to use it spring for a larger set of tanks the smaller set doesnt last long and always go empty saturday afternoon
You meet the nicest people on a cub

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:09 pm

I must second those comments about getting a big enough unit from the get-go so you are not constantly running out of gas. Acetylene is consumed quite fast if you intend to use the torch for heating or cutting purposes. Consider buying a tank dolly to give yourself some portability. Just my two cents from someone who has gone through the stages you are about to embark on. I have been welding since the days I took ag. class in high school. I love my gas setup and I would not be without it. I'm certain you will too. Electric welding is nice, but there sure is a place for a good gas setup for cutting, heating, and brazing.

salamonius
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47117
Tractors Owned: 2009 New Holland TC-30 w/loader

1958 Farmall cub

Postby salamonius » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:18 pm

The small tanks will only last 15-20 minutes if you are cutting. They last longer if your using a welding tip. Spring for the the lager tanks. Yes it is harder to move them but so worth it in the long run. You also can opt for a mid size oxygen tank and go for a small propane tank instead of acetylene. Look for date codes stamped on the top of the tank. there will be an asterisk stamped at the end of the date code. It dictates that the tank has to be tested every 5 years. If there is another symbol like a plus stamped after the asterisk the tank only needs to be tested every 10 years. I just purchased a used set of tanks at an auction. they were last tested in 1983. The guy that fills my tanks says he has tanks in his shop from the 1940's that still test good. He also has tanks that are less than 10 years old that test bad. It cost me 35$ to test my oxygen and 45$ to test my acetylene. Keep that in mind if you buy used ones. Plus it costs 13$ to fill the oxygen and 40$ to fill the acetylene. So 133$ + tax just to test and fill. So a 200$ set of out of date tanks will cost a total 333$ to get them working, plus without anything in the tanks you have no way of knowing if the regulators are good. If the regulators have been stored off the tank more than likely they are no good. If I take my regulators off my tanks I put them in ziplock bags to keep contaminants out. In my opinion for a small set it is just as cheap to buy new. I recommend you get a larger set you will be pleased that you did. Tractor supply sells tanks as cheap as you can get them anywhere. A decent set torch and hose kit will set you back around 300$. Now that said I have used the portable set from harbor freight they work pretty good as long as they are not abused or trying to cut 1/2" plate with it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-torch-kit-with-oxygen-and-acetylene-tanks-65818.html

Also check these guys out. They sell the good stuff.

http://www.airgas.com/

Good luck with whatever you purchase. If you buy used make SURE that you get a bill of sale....Here where I live without that or ownership papers you cannot get tanks filled.
You keep telling yourself that and one of these days even you will believe it.

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:12 pm

I went with the tsc trade in system. You own the tanks like propane grill tanks and just exchange them when you need to.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:16 pm

I have been using my acetylene/oxygen setup for many years now. I own the tanks, but I go to my supplier and swap my emptys for full tanks.
I have some questions about using propane for a fuel gas with oxygen. How does this work? Is it as hot as acetylene? Is it necessary to change out any of your equipment?

My cutting torch stays on the hoses most to the time. I use it for cutting and heating metal. I do very little brazing and gas welding.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

EarlyCub49
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18036
Tractors Owned: Presently
1949 Cub
1953 Cub
Kubota Zero turn

Postby EarlyCub49 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:21 pm

To use propane you must use a propane regulator, it will not work on an acetylene tank they are different regulators.
Propane is not as hot as acetylene. Mapp gas is a subsitute for acetylene and the regulators can be used on each other.
Bruce T.

dennisbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dennisbushnell » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:37 pm

You can use an acytelene regulator for propane all thats necesary is a propane cutting tip

salamonius
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47117
Tractors Owned: 2009 New Holland TC-30 w/loader

1958 Farmall cub

Postby salamonius » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:54 pm

You can use propane to heat/cut with but it's not so good for welding. There is a difference in the regulators tho....The fitting for the acetylene tank will not fit on a propane tank...But it is easy to change. The propane tank fitting is a male reverse thread while the one for older acetylene tanks is a female reverse thread. Some of the new acetylene tanks take the male fitting. Plus dennis is right you need a propane tip.
You keep telling yourself that and one of these days even you will believe it.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:25 pm

i have also had great results using propane. the guy at my local welding supply suggested it. maybe not quite as hot , but hard to notice the difference, unless cutting one inch thick steel. i have brazed with it and cut. you only have to rent / buy the oxygen bottle. my oxygen bottle (full size) lasts almost a year, and the 20# propane bottles fill at the local feed store, and as they said above, the gas always goes empty on saturday!!! 25 or 50 foot hose, and a little cart and your in good shape. coppersmythe......................shoot,you could put wheelbarrow tires on the cart and make it offroad ready :lol: :wink:

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:41 pm

I have welded for a living for years. Although I still own a couple of oxy-acetelene outfits, we have used chopsaws, portabands, and zipsaws for cutting for the last 15 years. Less time fitting, and running for gas.
We use the tank rigs for heating only.
YMMV
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Go to a welding supply and get the big tanks , they will cost you about $125.00 a year for lease on the tanks, you need to get a Victor or Smith outfit. The cheaper ones will only cause you grief. Just my opinion

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

dennisbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dennisbushnell » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:54 pm

I forgot I use Ilmo tanks which have the same thread as propane tanks so you dont have to change anything but the tip however Airco tanks are different ,sorry for the mistake

Return to “Farmall Cub”