This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cutting Torch Opinions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cutting Torch Opinions

Postby Bigdog » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:12 pm

I bought my Victor torch from Jim Foose. One of the best investment you can buy. I agree - get the full sized tanks or you'll always be empty when you need them.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

papermaker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04416
Tractors Owned: 1940 Farmall A, 1946 David Bradley,1948 F-Cub,Cub 22 Mower,194 Plow,Cub 3 Cultivator,54A Grader/Snow Blade, A-Cub 33 Bean Harvester

Postby papermaker » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:48 pm

I'm not sure if it's a Maine state law or a federal law but here you can't own a big cylinder. Rule of thumb is if the cylinder is taller than your knee it requires a lease. It supposed to be so they can keep the cylinder maintained.I own the knee high cylinder for my torches and argon for my mig welder. As someone mentioned you will always run out on Saturday morning!
For cutting they make a big mess that requires a lot of grinder work. Unless you're real good.
Some asked about using propane as a fuel. There is a chart on the web that actually shows the comparison between propane and acetylene. It all involves the size of flame cone. Propane is hotter than acetylene by quite a bit. The difference is the cone length.(Blue flame) You will have a cleaner cut using acetylene than propane. If your only interested in heating metal then propane is a better choice.
Make share that if you are doing any cutting do so with with proper ventilation.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:00 pm

Dave,

Here's the site I was talking about.

http://www.esabna.com/euweb/oxy_handbook/589oxy6_12.htm
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:03 pm

I was a driver at a welding supply store and testing was free when you own your tanks provided they are the type of tanks the store sold, if you came in with an odd duck type tank and it was out of test date they would either try to sell you new tanks or send your tank out for testing at a charge , but you would go home with out gas cause there is no exchange for an odd duck tank,,,,,, its best to go to your local welding supply store and see what the situation is for you.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:43 am

Buy a new torch set and rent the tanks.

Repairing a torch set will cost as much as a new set. And if a tank dosn't pass the test.

Northerntool lists a basic Victor style torch kit for $129.99 including hoses and regulators.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:21 am

I've had my Harris torch set for over 35yrs. and it's served me well. I'm a bit leary of a used set, unless I can see it in action. It's probably going to need new tips and so on. If you're considering the used set, with tanks, make sure you can exchange them at a local supplier. I have owned my tanks for as long as I have had the torch and used to exchange them at a local welding supplier, but a few years ago, they closed up shop which left many of us out in the cold. Fortunately, the local NAPA picked them up so now I exchange those same tanks there. I'm very much in favor of tank ownership. there will be considerably more cash outlay up front but none down the road and no confusing rental plans to worry about. I don't know about PA. but in Ohio we can own the larger tanks, must be an oddball thing in Maine.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:22 am

THANKS everyone for sharing your experience and thoughts. :D
I got a great education in a day's time...

Based on all the comments, I have decided to go with a full size setup.
[If it's not as portable as I like, I can have fun building a custom cart :lol: ]

It seems the $$ difference between used and new outfits [torch-gauges-hoses] is not enough to risk buying used...
So unless I come across a set from a seller I can trust, probably will buy new.
Will check with the local welding supply houses for tank options.

Would like to explore the propane/oxygen route as I just found 2 industrial-looking propane tanks in a house some tenants skipped from...one is 3/4 full.

Thanks again guys for all for your help. :{_}:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:21 am

If you buy new please get a Victor, Smith or Harris [ I forgot about Harris ] and am not sure if they are still in business, the look alike sets are trouble in my opinion. And you get what you pay for. A good set will be in the neighborhood of $400

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby Bill » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:55 am

I had 25 year lease on Airco tanks, because at that time they would not sell them. After 25 years I had the option to buy or turn the tanks in. I bought the tanks. I now have proof of purchase, I or my estate can sell tanks. I felt I paid twice for tanks but that was policy at that time. I live three miles from the supplier, convenience is worth something. Message is, tkink twice before you lease.

mikethefixitman1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45417
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall CUB
129 CUB CADET
180 JD YT
160 JD YT
Various yard tractors and various brands
TOTALING 10

Postby mikethefixitman1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:12 pm

I'd also go for the bigger tanks. I don't have the largest ones. I own the gauges and hoses and torches,Smith I think. I dont know about where you are BOSS HOG but I pay about $125 for a 15 year lease. My welding supplier owns the tanks and is responsible for the inspections. I pay for the refills is all. I still enjoy welding with OXy-Acetylene . I did go to Harbor Freight and Spring for one of those bicycle wheel carts.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:51 pm

mikethefixitman1 wrote:I'd also go for the bigger tanks. I don't have the largest ones. I own the gauges and hoses and torches,Smith I think. I dont know about where you are BOSS HOG but I pay about $125 for a 15 year lease. My welding supplier owns the tanks and is responsible for the inspections. I pay for the refills is all. I still enjoy welding with OXy-Acetylene . I did go to Harbor Freight and Spring for one of those bicycle wheel carts.

I am in Va I had a lifetime lease then I found out a lifetime lease was for 25 years :lol: Since then I only lease them by the year as I dont use over a tank of each per year any more , the $125 was for the year lease and full tanks that was about 4 or 5 years ago I am not sure what the lease is just for the tanks now but $125 would not be far off But I do not think you will lease 2 big Tanks here for 15 years for $125

Boss Hog
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:46 pm

My air tank is about 4' tall and my accet. tank about 3' I had them both inspected for around $30.00 . I am looking for another set for a back up so as when they go low or run out I don't have to fret.I have separate torches for propane and accet. Just lucked up on the propane torch. If you have any amish around back in the country starting up a business , they can be very reasonable and quite cut and dry on what you can and can not do.
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:27 am

Not as wise as the others about such things but.... I got the 'tiny' Victor setup with the tanks for $250 from the local Airco (AirGas?) place (I was lucky that day). Great price, especially cause he threw in the full tanks! Not positive, but I would think the regulators, hoses, etc would work on a full size setup. So for a little more money you could have a dual use out of the deal if you got the large tanks separately. Just a thought.

http://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/enlarg ... able+Torch
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:49 pm

never get a tiny little torch set. They are a wast of time.cost as much to fill little tank as a larger tank. I know from experionce! You can get a decent ued set on craigs list or at auction for around 200 to 300 bucks. with tanks and cart. who ever has the posession of the tanks these days are the owners. Atleast around here anyway. I have no problem getting tanks filled..Use to be all tanks were titled but it got way too expensiveto keep track of them all. The regulator for a propane is the same for any kind of gas. Pressure is pressure. If the regulator didnt work then i suspect to wrong tip was used. Different gasses may need different tips.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:44 pm

I have been watching this thread with interest. I want to eventually get a blue tip wrench.... so I will continue to absorb what you guys have gained in experience. Then when I take the welding course in February.. my fingers are crossed that I get to register.. it is a pretty popular course .... I might actually have a clue as to what would be best around here. Knowledge is always a good thing to have. Thanks for the info so far :)
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”