This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

HELP im new! haha

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cub185
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62806

HELP im new! haha

Postby cub185 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:41 am

im new to the tractor community haha i just picked up a cub lowboy 185 at a great deal, looks great runs good untill.... i engage the deck. ive searched this problem and found others with same problem but no fixes, ive done all the basics, carb, cap, wires, gas cap, spark plugs, air cleaner, the man i got it from said someone told him it might be a governer prob? starts up fine idles fine and drives fine but the deck seems to be to much. has a 5ft woods deck if that matters..... any replys would be greatly appreciated, ive read some on a similar post and everyone here seems to be very nice and willing to help. thanks in advance

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: HELP im new! haha

Postby Rudi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:57 pm

G'day and welcome!

Follow the links below -- especially to the Manual Server.

Rudi wrote:Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server where you will find a bunch of really useful stuff.

This may be of some help as well Lurker Carl's Cub Governor Rebuild. Carl documented my governor being rebuilt and put the presentation together. Useful ..

I don't have a lot on the 185 aside from the International Cub 185 Lo-Boy Operator's Manual 8-75 but the engine is a C-60 so the GSS-1411 Service Manual for Cubs and Lo-boy Tractors Revision 1 should be helpful, especially Page 2-12 and following.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cub185
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub185 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm

we just watched the governor rebuild, we are takeing it apart now to check it all out thanks...

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 pm

Check the mower out before you get further into the engine.
Check the mower deck spindles and idler pulleys to see if they are free.
Check the mower set up, deck lower in front than the back.

Governor check. Disengage the pto/mower. Got a steep hill. Drive the tractor up the hill in 2nd or 3d gear - depending on ground condition and slope. The governor should kick in and keep the engine running at the same rpms. You can also tell if the governor is working by the sound of the engine. Noticeable increase in exhaust sound when governor kicks in to keep the engine at the set rpms.

Conduct a full and complete engine tune up including valve tappet clearance and compression test.

Set the ignition timing?
I have an excuse. CRS.

cub185
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub185 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:58 pm

we took apart the governor assembly and found that the fork was very loose and causeing lots of play. that helped some, then we adjusted the valves and it runs like a brand new tractor! wrong time of year to try it out mowin here in southern IL but it no longer drops rpm when the deck is engaged and when going up hills. thanks for the help!! :D

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”