This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Cadet 124 Wont Run - Timing, Ignition, etc????

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Cadet 124 Wont Run - Timing, Ignition, etc????

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Hey guys. I just brought home a 1968 Cub Cadet 124 a guy gave me. I put a battery in it and some fresh fuel and it started up and ran awhile, but it wasn't easy to get it going. The Carburetor was POURING gas, and I just put a kit in it. Re-installed it, and it still leaks. However, I decided to check the fire on it. The points were not firing, so I filed them down, and the coil wasn't getting fire so I put a jumper wire from the battery on it, and finally got some fire going to the plug. I also pulled the plug and it was fouled out, so I burnt it off and re-installed it and it the engine started to hit. It would crank and run for a few seconds (3 or 4), and then quit. Do you think the engine is out of time??? If so, how do you time one of these engines?? It is a Kohler K301 (12 hp). Also, all of you pros out there should give me some good advice and tell me what you think I should do to the engine to get it running in top shape. The reason I think it is out of time is because it takes several revolutions for the engine to fire (when it does fire). THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Cub Cadet 124 Wont Run - Timing, Ignition, etc????

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:16 pm

http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm

Link. Operators and service manual, free down load. Click on either manual then click on english to down load the manuals.

Information on timing the engine is included in the service manual. But basicaly the timing is adjusted by the point gap.

What else could be wrong? Systematic diagnosis is called for.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:23 pm

You are right. Do you know of a good diagnostic list/troubleshooting guide I could follow???
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Eugene,

Thank you sooo much for the link to the manuals!! I knew someone out there would have some good info. I never would have thought this stuff would have been online for free like this. I really appreciate all of you guys with your expert and quick knowledge. THANKS>
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:39 pm

I have a paper manual/book. A troubleshooting guide is included on page 1.4.
I have an excuse. CRS.

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks! I actually saw the troubleshooting guide within the manual you sent me via the link. Do you know a good source or spreadsheet/list of part numbers for specific engine repair parts (spark plug, points, condensor, etc.) THANKS
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:59 am

The best list of replacement parts is an auto store parts catalog.

NAPA's is called Outdoor Products Catalog and Federated Auto Parts catalog is called Prime Line Power Equipment Products. Both are the same catalog except for the cover. NAPA has some of their catalog parts on their web site - parts look up.

The catalog contains quite a bit of additional information on commonly used small engines. And an extensive listing of parts for small engine powered machines as well as parts cross reference.

Example, I was looking for a starter for a Tecumseh engine and told it was no longer available. With a bit of research I found that the same starter was still in use and available but by a different engine manufacturer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Cub Cadet”