This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie from Ohio

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
handyhiker
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44312
eBay ID: handyhiker
Tractors Owned: Cub 154 LoBoy with mower deck

Newbie from Ohio

Postby handyhiker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Well for good or bad, I just brought home a 154 LoBoy basket case. This is my first big tractor as the others that I have had have been just yard tractors. It looks like I did get all the parts. (from what I can tell). The story was that the previous owner started ato restore the tractor but just had too many other projects going and could not find time. He also has 3 other tractors. So this thing was tore down, with the wheels off and ALL sheet metal off. The rear end is redonr with new gaskets and seals, the pto is redone with new bearings and clutch. All the sheet metal is in decent shape. The only thing that is going to need some work is the radiator shroud. It is not broken, but has taken a hit or two. The parts I know I need as of now are a throttle cable and a clutch brake for the pto. Other than that I think it is mostly there. I did get a 60" deck as well but it needs some work as it has several cracks and some hokie welding on the side runners. If this works I have a few pics I will try to post. I may from time to time ask a few dumb questions, please forgive me, but like I said, this is the first one I have had. Also not seeing it all together, might make me scratch my head a bit. I did put the tires on to get it home. Also I could not find a serial number on the fram, I did however find the one on the engine. It is .60CT2U281833. Is this enough to tell what year the tractor is?? Well as soon as I get the pics smaller I will post a few.
Ken

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbie from Ohio

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Welcome, Ken. Enjoy your Cub. There are several forum members close to Akron and more than willing to help you turn wrenches as the need arises. We like Microfests and will travel to help out another Cubber.

Take a look at this http://www.tmtractor.com/id/id_001.htm and follow the links for information on your tractor/engine serial numbers.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:43 pm

G'day and welcome :!:

Congrats :applause: on acquiring your very first Cub even if it is in a basket :big smile:

Follow the links below for some good information on the resources available to our members.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

I do not have a lot on the Numbered Cubs, but I have managed to acquire some information on the Cub-154 Lo-Boy. The Owner's Manual and TC-131 Parts Catalog Revision 8 may be useful to you as you put your Lo-Boy back together. As a plus the TC-131 also is a Parts Catalog for many of the implements that are unique to the Lo-Boy series such as the IH 3160 Rotary Cutter, IH 3260 Rotary Cutter and the IH-60 Inch Rotary Mower. This might also be of use.

Enjoy your new toy, I am sure it will give you many hours of enjoyment at you put it back together and many years of faithful service. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

handyhiker
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby handyhiker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks for the welcoms. I think I can get these pics in now...
small mower deck.jpg
Mower deck in need of TLC!!
small side on trailer.jpg
Just pulled in the drive.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:50 pm

That engine number is probably 1972. Check several date codes for a "T" year, as described on the referenced TM page.

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Postby Phazer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:53 pm

The deck looks to be a model 3160, could be a C-3 but I doubt it. I just got done "remaking" my 3160. Had .170 metal bent with a 1" lip on it, maybe 8" wide. Had 3 pieces done. Two for the rear and one for the front. I stripped the deck down and then held the new pieces along each front & rear edge and marked the deck. I only cut maybe 3" off the front and rear edges and then usinf the previous markings, bolted the new pieces on. I marked the deck so that when the new pieces were installed, it was the same inside measurments, (didn't want it to "grow" bigger). Each piece was bolted on with 3/8 bolts staggered about 5" apart. Make sure to avoid the "lift bracket" area. Getting the angle cut on the rear was the hardest. My band saw was just a little too small but I improvised. Bearings and seal can be gotten at any NAPA dealer. I paid about $70.00 for all six seals and bearings. Works like a champ and is really solid with no bending or flexing.

handyhiker
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby handyhiker » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:26 am

My deck will need some TLC for sure. I plan on stripping it down and check all the bearings. But first I want to get the tractor back together and hear her run. I am not going to do a restoration on it right now, I am just doing a quick paint job and then reassembling it. Before I spend all the time and money I want to make sure I know what it needs and even if it will suit my needs.

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Postby Phazer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:30 am

Three things:

1. Under powered.
2. Fragile.
3. Expensive.

But damn their fun . . .

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”