Well its getting that time of year when we all get together for Thanksgiving. Here are some tips that I would like to pass on. Now I know of a fire department (not mine) was cooking turkeys in one of those pot cookers in the bays. Well it went bad after 4. They were setting down for diner someone said its looks a little hazy in the bay they could see from their dining room. They went & checked it out & the bays were on fire. 30,000.00 damage the Chief was not a happy camper. So I'm just trying to help everyone have a Safe Holiday
Thanksgiving Day fires in residential structures cause more property damage and claim more lives than residential structure fires on other days. The increase is troubling as it applies mostly to cooking fires in family homes. In 2005, cooking fires were involved in roughly 1,300 reported home structure fires on Thanksgiving â€“ thatâ€™s almost three times the daily average.
It is easy to get wrapped up in entertaining guests, but it is important to monitor meal preparations since most cooking fires start when cooking is left unattended.Another of the recent culprits for the increase of cooking fires during holidays is the turkey fryer. Turkey fryers use a substantial quantity of cooking oil at high temperatures, and many units currently available for use pose a significant tipping danger. The use of turkey fryers by consumers can lead to devastating burns, other injuries and the destruction of property.
The following safe cooking tips can help to make your holiday dinner safe and enjoyable:
Always use cooking equipment tested and approved by a recognized testing facility.
Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
Keep anything that can catch fire - potholders, towels or curtains - away from your stove top.
Have a "kid-free zone" of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire.
Never use a wet oven mitt, as it presents a scald danger if the moisture in the mitt is heated.
Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when you're cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Don't remove the lid until it is completely cool.
If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Have the oven serviced before you use it again.http://www.usfa.dhs.gov
Last edited by Jeff Silvey on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.