This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thanksgiving safety tips (Cooking)

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines
Circle of Safety: Y

Thanksgiving safety tips (Cooking)

Postby Jeff Silvey » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:14 am

Well its getting that time of year when we all get together for Thanksgiving. Here are some tips that I would like to pass on. Now I know of a fire department (not mine) was cooking turkeys in one of those pot cookers in the bays. Well it went bad after 4. They were setting down for diner someone said its looks a little hazy in the bay they could see from their dining room. They went & checked it out & the bays were on fire. 30,000.00 damage the Chief was not a happy camper. So I'm just trying to help everyone have a Safe Holiday

Cooking
Thanksgiving Day fires in residential structures cause more property damage and claim more lives than residential structure fires on other days. The increase is troubling as it applies mostly to cooking fires in family homes. In 2005, cooking fires were involved in roughly 1,300 reported home structure fires on Thanksgiving – that’s almost three times the daily average.

It is easy to get wrapped up in entertaining guests, but it is important to monitor meal preparations since most cooking fires start when cooking is left unattended.

Another of the recent culprits for the increase of cooking fires during holidays is the turkey fryer. Turkey fryers use a substantial quantity of cooking oil at high temperatures, and many units currently available for use pose a significant tipping danger. The use of turkey fryers by consumers can lead to devastating burns, other injuries and the destruction of property.

The following safe cooking tips can help to make your holiday dinner safe and enjoyable:

Always use cooking equipment tested and approved by a recognized testing facility.
Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
Keep anything that can catch fire - potholders, towels or curtains - away from your stove top.
Have a "kid-free zone" of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
Wear short, close fitting or tightly rolled sleeves when cooking. Loose clothing can dangle onto stove burners and catch fire.
Never use a wet oven mitt, as it presents a scald danger if the moisture in the mitt is heated.
Always keep an oven mitt and lid nearby when you're cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, put on an oven mitt and smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Don't remove the lid until it is completely cool.
If there is an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed to prevent flames from burning you and your clothing. Have the oven serviced before you use it again.

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov
Last edited by Jeff Silvey on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Re: Thanksgiving safety tips (Cooking)

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Just a little reminder.
Be Safe
In my line of work

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:05 am

TTT
In my line of work

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks for bringing this back to the top Jeff. Let's also not forget space heater safety too. With houseful's of guest staying overnight and colder weather, be careful using those space heaters (always). It seems like every holiday season I read stories about a house burning down because of poorly placed space heaters.

Return to “Safety Forum”