This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New brake pads

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

New brake pads

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:52 pm

Folks,

I'm looking at replacing the brake pads on my Cub Cadet 1200. I already have the new pads and rivets, so I'm set there.

Here's the real question: How do you get the remaining brake pads off the metal? Just grind them down, and if so with what? Can you use something like Acetone to cut the glue that holds the old pads on, or even something else?

Appreciate the help in advance.

SS
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ssettje
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02864
Tractors Owned: Cub Cadet 107
CUB Cadet GT 1554
Simplicity Broadmoor

Re: New brake pads

Postby ssettje » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:56 pm

I have not done this, but note old brake pads might contain asbestos. Wear a very very good mask it you grind them off and do it outside with an angle grinder. Perhaps the old pads are brittle and will chip off.

I need to redo the brakes on my 107 and I saw replacement pads cost some good dollars. I am planning to epoxy on motor cycle pads at about $10. It is not like one is braking from 80 mph, I just don't want it to roll.

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:52 am

Sunday Sailor I have replaced the pads on my 108.First I had to grind th e old pads off.Next I went to Trucks or Us where they did brakes.I ordered the thinest piece of brake pad about a foot square.I cut out the shape i needed but I had to grind them down a bit cause they were too thick.Iput them on with two part epoxy. They have been on there for five years at the total cost of $20.00 Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:42 pm

Hey Bruce :!:

Long time no hear, about time you popped in :D I think it would be nice to have a microfest sometime before Christmas if possible.. :-:-):

Rick:

We have a place called Friction Plus. They can either reline em or get you the stock to do it yourself. It might be an avenue to check as Bruce said.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ssettje
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02864
Tractors Owned: Cub Cadet 107
CUB Cadet GT 1554
Simplicity Broadmoor

Postby ssettje » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:14 pm

I read on another forum that you can order brake pad material from McMaster Carr. It comes by the foot and various widths like 2.5 or 3 inches for like $7.00, not sure about shipping. Cut and expoxy on.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:05 am

McMaster Carr PN 6175K119. 3/16"X3"X12" $7.31 per ft. Also needs thined down to fit.
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:54 am

Coan Equipment Company in Landis, NC helped me with the Wheel Horse PTO clutch lining install. They do all kinds of friction linings and such. The rivets WH-Toro provided were too short.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks folks for the suggestions on the brake pad linings. I already have the IH linings that I purchased off epay.

Now, I have to figure out a way to remove the old pads. They're held on with rivets, and probably glue too. I'll just drill the rivets out, and deal with the other stuff.

If I have to grind, will an angle grinder with the regular disc work ok? I'm still thinking about soaking these things in acetone to see if I can get the old glue to let go, but I also know acetone is flammable. Add the grinding, and you have an uh-oh in the mix.

I also have a bench grinder with 6" coarse stones if you think that will work.

Keep the suggestions coming. This appears to be the the last of the big rebuild part of this Cub Cadet.

We did have some snow this weekend - about 1.5 inches. Not enough to make me want to take the Johnny Bucket Jr off and mount the snow blade, but I'm itchin'. :-:-): :-:-): :-:-): :lol: :{_}:
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:51 am

Disc grinder should work after you chisel most of the old pad off and use a mask so you don't breathe the dust. DO NOT use a bench grinder. It will load up in the wheel. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:46 am

Thanks grumpy for the ideas. I was wondering if the old pads could be chipped away. Guess I'll go that route.

I'm ok for now as I have a spare set that I'll rebuild with the new pads whilst I have the originals on the tractor.

I sure do appreciate the help you folks have given me. I'm very new to this, and have been learning as I go.

Return to “Cub Cadet”