This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Engine WILL NOT FIRE AT SPARK PLUGS!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rtr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35405

Cub Engine WILL NOT FIRE AT SPARK PLUGS!!!

Postby rtr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:30 pm

Ok, so this guy's Cub I am working on trying to get wired correctly will not run. He told me he couldn't get it to crank after installing new points, etc. That is one reason I was to check the wiring besides checking to see if alternator charged. We have installed a NEW set of points, and I wired the ignition correctly. We are getting fire EVERYWHERE and a good spark at that; but there is no fire coming from distributor cap to spark plugs. We have tried a couple other distributor caps, a couple other rotor buttons, and another set of New wires; and still NO FIRE.

We are scratching our heads!!!! Please HELP. THANKS .

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cub Engine WILL NOT FIRE AT SPARK PLUGS!!!

Postby CPIII » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:00 pm

It is a distributor or magneto? Either way though it sounds like the cap or the rotor needs to be replaced.

DUH! didn't see the last statement. Is there anyway the rotor could have gotten out of time and is in between terminals when the spark is generated?
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:04 pm

Has the timing been messed with. If you have spark from the coil and the cap is good, the timing must be off. This means the rotor is not in line with the post at the inside of the cap when the coil fires.

rtr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rtr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:09 pm

I am pretty sure he checked the timing, and said it was good. I will double check though.

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:06 pm

Wrong post

rtr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rtr » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Huh??? I'm confused.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:12 pm

rtr wrote:Huh??? I'm confused.

Mule Boss, meant to post a message in another thread but posted here by mistake. He edited his message here.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:31 pm

New here but I am wondering about the following.

Was the governor removed and reinstalled? Did you set the point gap right for his cub?
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Not sure what you mean by getting fire everywhere but from the distributor cap to the plugs. AFAIK (and I have been known to be misinformed) the only place to check for spark is at the coil wire and at the plugs. The first questionthat comes to mind from your description, though, is have you replaced the plug wires?
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:54 pm

If the distributor was removed when the points were changed the rotor got out of time. Set the engine on TDC on #1 and make sure the rotor is pointing at the #1 tower location on the cap.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Ztr,

This is going to sound wild, but bear with me. These tractors are old. Most of the parts on this tractor are metal and even they show some wear.

Inside the distributor is a plastic block your points attach to and then to a metal post.

Many times we tighten up the points lead so much it cracks the plastic insulating block. When this happens, the spark arcs on the side of the distributor and no fire to the coil or plugs happens.

It is very hard to see if that plastic block is cracked too. Get a good light and with the distributor cap off, look that post going through the distributor on the side real good. Make sure your plastic block isn't cracked.

If it is, replace it. Tom at TM used to have those things.

Don't ask how I know about this. BTW, the top of my head is pretty slick these days too. (balding)
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:10 pm

YTmag
First of all, we have tried just about everything you all have mentioned (as far as trying other parts). The best we could get was a VERY TINY BIT of spark out of the plug wires at the plugs. When the guy wanted us to work on it, he came to the house with the distributor with him (oh no!!), so there is NO TELLING if the timing is correct or not. Who knows, he could have taken the governor off too; BUT we should still be getting spark!! We have not tried another condensor yet, but have a couple extra used ones we can try.
I believe you are going to earn that $100-.

YTmag
2nd while the head is off, we are gonna check timing
Time the distributor to the engine and then static time the distributor. Also check to see if the mechanical advance is working.

The correct firing order is located on the side of the engine block.
I have an excuse. CRS.

rtr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rtr » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:54 pm

UPDATE:

We got the new head gasket on and torqued down to 45 ft-lbs. While it was off we found that the timing was 180 degrees off, and fixed that. Once everything was back together again, we tried to start the tractor. Still having the same problem. No fire through the spark plug wires. It is getting lost somewhere between the rotor button shaft on the distributor and the plug wires themself. The coil is firing excellent, therefore the plastic piece shouldn't be cracked. We also checked the rotor to see if it was turning, and yes it is. We have tried new wires, new distributor cap, and a new rotor. Still no luck. What is next?? New distributor??

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:36 pm

It is out of time! period, If the information you are giving us is correct. Bring # 1 cylinder up on compression stroke. align pointer to mark on the front pulley , then align rotor to # 1 terminal on distributor cap. MAKE sure firing order is correct 1 3 4 2 . You will now have spark to the plug wires. Most likely you have gas fouled the plugs by now and they will need to be replaced.

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Let me recap. You have a distributor - battery operated ignition system. You have hot spark coming from the coil to ground when cranking over the engine. No spark from a distributor cap connected plug wire to ground. Correct so far?

That means the points are opening and closing. The spark is going some place.

New distributor - no. You need to locate and correct the problem.

Is the mechanical advance hooked up and working? Grasp the rotor and gently turn it. It should turn a bit in one direction and not turn in the other.

Did you time the distributor to the engine and then time the distributor to the correct firing order? This is actually a multiple step process?

I think your distributor is not properly timed. OK. Roll the engine over until the pointer and TDC timing mark are lined up. The rotor should be pointing exactly at either the #1 spark plug tower on the distributor cap or the #4 spark plug tower.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”