This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear wheels won't turn - HELP

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear wheels won't turn - HELP

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:51 am

THANKS for all the fast responses. :D
Been looking thru the manuals trying to catch up on the transmission lingo...
:?: When you guys say "pinion shaft", do you mean the countershaft = the shaft with the lower set of gears on it in the gearbox?

:?: I would assume [maybe wrongly] that it would be easier for the bottom of the gearbox to freeze than the pinion shaft?
I do know that none of the gears will rotate in the gearbox...neither the upper or lower sets.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:06 am

Yes Dave. The countershaft at the bottom has the pinion gear at the end. Your arrow pointing to the countershaft is pointing towards the pinion gear. The ring gear is the large gear. Easiest thing to do is warm it up, but if you don't have access to electricity or heat you can try some de-icer as a temporary work-around.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:20 am

ImageTM pics

Dave, gears 3,5,7,9 are all locked onto the pinion countershaft. The gears C and D are locked onto the trans clutch input shaft(but can slide). When you push the clutch pedal down, then you should be able to rotate the trans clutch input shaft and the top gears, providing it's in neutral. Sounds to me like either ice or rust up in the front bearing or ice laying on the bottom of the case touching the gears.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:27 am

Since the wheels turn in opposite directions, the differential is not frozen or stuck. Check the transmission carefully.
Luck favors those who are prepared

mikethefixitman1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45417
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall CUB
129 CUB CADET
180 JD YT
160 JD YT
Various yard tractors and various brands
TOTALING 10

Postby mikethefixitman1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:23 am

Dave
There are those that think its frozen ,I tend to agree,unless the seller is fibbin to ya. Do one of my old trucker tricks for startin the big diesels. A tarp and some charcoal , an old cut off oil drum,or Charcoal grill, ya may have to find a big rock or chunk of railroad tie. Fire up the charcoal and let it burn till you can cook a steak ,Im sure you know what that looks like,Slide the grill under the rear end and cover the tractor with a tarp,GO AWAY and Drink a GOOD HOT CUP OF JO. Return in an hour and it should be free if its froze. GOOD LUCK DAVE
Roger :big afro:

muleboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66839

Postby muleboss » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:39 am

Pull the drain plug and you can tell if it is frozen. Stick a wire or screw driver in it and see if is iced.
If not get a screw driver and move the shifter fingers a little either way and see what happens.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Dave, to answer your question:
When you guys say "pinion shaft", do you mean the countershaft = the shaft with the lower set of gears on it in the gearbox

YES, here's the 10tooth bevel pinion/countershaft shown in TM's site. When you here the phrase "ring and pinion", he pinion drives the ring gear normally, unless you're pull starting the cub :shock:
the item you have marked as pinion in your picture is actually the cross pin that holds the two spider gears in place. I see TM calls it a pinion shaft and they call the spider gears pinions :shock: Some confusing stuff for sure.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:21 pm

Dave, we are waiting
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:11 pm

Boss Hog wrote:Dave, we are waiting

Me too. :lol:
No action taken today...other than reading all the responses here...and spending quality time with my daughter.
The Cub is 50 miles away from me...I wasn't going back until I had a good idea what was wrong.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Weather for zip code 17953 is supposed to be in the mid 40 degree range next weekend. That should take care of the ice.

Magnetic block heater if you have access to electricity. Probably won't need it next weekend.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Dave, with the cover off, rock the wheels forward and backward while watching for movement. I you see any gears trying to move, forget about ice in the bottom of tranny. I checked one for a guy a few years ago that he said suddenly locked up. Would not go forward, but when I rolled it backward it moved a few inches, then forward a few inches, etc. I finally found a broken tooth wedged in one of the gears on the counter shaft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:02 pm

Hi Dave, It would be nice to know if the engine is frozen , maybe take a crank with you on the 50 mile trip, to determine if indeed their is a problem with the engine and the clutch, they have also known to bond, clutch to flywheel or pressure plate ! But my guess would also be some problem in the trans ! Also check if their is "gear shake"and where their is none , which could determine rust or ice frozen gears (parts) areas ! Good Luck, Lee

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm with SteveB... I think it looks like those forks are not both in the neutral position...But that is just me...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
N3NIK

Re: Rear wheels won't turn - HELP - He's home !!

Postby Winfield Dave » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:34 pm

Well...went to pickup the new Cub again today...
Got there and pulled the transmission drain plug...nothing ran out...and screwdriver won't go in the hole.
Stood the propane torch under the gearbox and started doing other things... it was smoking in no time, gunk dripping out the drain hole and the gears were turning a little.
But the wheels still were solid...Decided to stick the torch under the differential case for a while... that worked...wheels were loose.
I think that is where the problem was...I fished out 2 baseball-sized chunks of ice from the differential case.

Loaded up and took him home...pics at New 1957 Cub in Winfield "Den".

Oh yeah...transmission wasn't the only thing frozen...guy claims there was antifreeze in radiator...[maybe just not enough]...
I saw this crack...and showed it to him and said this was now a parts tractor...
IMG_0245.JPG

he said "there's nothing wrong with that - it never leaked for me"...told him to get a jug of water...I no sooner started pouring and it was running out the crack.
"I guess you are right Dave, parts tractor"...
I said "I'll give you scrap price for it"....you know the rest of the story...it's at my house now!
Dave

mikethefixitman1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45417
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall CUB
129 CUB CADET
180 JD YT
160 JD YT
Various yard tractors and various brands
TOTALING 10

Postby mikethefixitman1 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:27 am

See Dave, I told ya the owner might be fibbin too ya. NOW we know the rest of the story. Glad ya got it home OK, to bad its a parts tractor. But I think you can deal wiff it.
Roger
OH
HAPPY NEW YEAR

Return to “Farmall Cub”