This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stuck Clutch - Problem Found!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)
Circle of Safety: Y

Stuck Clutch - Problem Found!!!

Postby CPIII » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:33 pm

After removing all the ornaments and decorations from my cub I started it up (Cranked on the first pull.....love it!) and tried to put it in gear but all it did was grind. Somehow the clutch is not releasing. I really don't understand how this could have happened...but I guess I will have to split the tractor and go throught the clutch. One step forward .......two steps back... :(
Last edited by CPIII on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Re: Stuck Clutch

Postby tst » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:40 pm

before you split it look at the throwout bearing and clutch fingers through the clutch cover hole and watch the fingers on the pressure plate if they move in and out when you depress the clutch pedal, you can adjust them in the tractor with out splitting it if they need it
good luck tim

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Some parts of eastern PA near the cement kilns have a lot of sulfur in the air and a stuck clutch is not uncommon. Jack up 1 wheel and with clutch depressed rock the wheel back and forth and it may break loose. Farmer friend had it happen on his hay truck when it was parked near there after the rear wheel bearing burned out. About 6 months later he and I changed the rear end. When he went to drive it home the clutch plate was frozen to the fly wheel. He ended up horsing it into 1st gear and shifted with out benefit of a clutch for the next 200 miles to get home. Al delivered hay like that for a couple of years and then all of a sudden one day it let loose and worked fine.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:20 pm

My '48 was frozen when I purchased it ,after sitting (outside) for 10 years ! A friend suggest to strike the clutch plate at the center hub area (without damaging the splined shaft ! I used a long brass punch thru the inspection hole, no success, then I blocked the rear wheels (front side),cranked the engine over by hand ,till their was some "real effort" for the rear wheels to try to move up over the stopping blocks ! Then I tried the brass punch trick again , it appeared to "jump up (not really), but if made a lurch , the clutch became unfrozen ! And still is to this day ! Lee

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:02 pm

I tried starting it in gear ...while I was sitting on the tractor but it wouldn't break loose. My tractor also set for 10 years before I got it but the clutch wasn't frozen when I got it. I really can't imagine what could have made this happen while it was just sitting there in the front yard .....for goodness sake I drove it to the spot and the clutch worked very well....
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:01 pm

Use the search function. There are several suggestions for freeing up a stuck clutch.

Best solution is probably to split the tractor, disassemble the clutch system. Inspect, repair, and replace.

It shouldn't be stuck to bad. Might try starting the tractor in gear, again. Then stepping on the brakes with clutch pedal depressed. Might have to do this a dozen times or so. Didn't work for me when I had a stuck clutch on a Cub that had been sitting for years.
I have an excuse. CRS.

FCUBMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 2 Cubs
1 Simplicity
1 Craftsman
1 Farmall 130 with loader
1 Tiger

Postby FCUBMAN » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:59 pm

What worked for me with an old car was to start it in gear, then goose and let off the throttle a few times with the clutch pedal depressed. The shock to the drive train freed the clutch. The car was sitting in the damp woods for 6 months, and the valves rusted in the guides, it was so humid there. I freed up the valves with a hammer (gently), then found the clutch was stuck. Once I got it freed up, it worked just fine. Car ran great until the oil pump quit.
"Remember, I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!"
Quoted from Red Green of Possum Lodge

When you get older, lack of pep is often mistaken for patience.

(1956 and 1948 Cubs)

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 pm

I didn't explain how I was trying to move the clutch disc. with the brass punch , but the bottom line was driving it harder ,with a vibrating effect, into the flywheel or away from the bond it may have with the pressure plate , in any event it was better than "splitting" the tractor in my mind ! Always hold the clutch pedal down with a strap so their a place to vibrate ! Lee

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:37 am

There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to stuck clutches, It can happen anytime or anyplace, it just happens and they can be REALLY stuck. I've generally been successful unsticking them by shock loading the drive train while holding the clutch pedal depressed but in a few cases have had to disassemble. Amazingly, when disassembled, they fall apart.

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:57 am

I was cleaning my cub and foolishly sprayed degreaser around the clutch and hosed it out. Yep it froze up I messed around over a hour trying to freed back up. I sprayed PB blaster up there and it freed back up and haven't had a problem with it in four year +. My 100 freezes up from time to time. I start it up let it warm up shut it off and start it in gear. Push the clutch in drive across the pasture and jamming the brakes every few feet and that frees it up in 30 to 50 feet.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 am

Gary Dotson wrote:Amazingly, when disassembled, they fall apart.

We had one that didn't. When I was still at dad's place, we had a Farmall C that was stuck when we got it out of winter storage. We tried all the usual tricks to break it loose and none worked. After splitting the tractor and pulling the pressure plate, the disk was still stuck to the flywheel. We finally managed to pry it of and even then about half the facing stayed on flywheel. It didn't scrape off either. We finally scraped and chipped most of it off. Some of the last of it never did come off. I suppose it has worn off by now. I still find it hard to believe it stuck that badly.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:58 am

Charles, you did not say how long the tractor had been setting, but I got the idea it was only a month or two with decorations on it. In that case, I would look in the hand hole cover while someone operates the pedal to make sure the pin has not come out, etc. If all looks normal, block the pedal down and spray some brake cleaner in the clutch and let it set a day or two.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:27 am

Tie the clutch pedal down, too.

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:17 pm

You might be able to safely shock load it if you have a plow attachment and the weather conditions allow its use.

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:36 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. It was only sitting in the front yard for about a month so no different from when it was sitting back by the shop. So I am really puzzled!! Hopefully I will have time tonight to look at it and I will report back what I have found. Thanks again guys!
Charles Patek III
Words to live by....

Return to “Farmall Cub”