This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

QA-42 Question

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pharmerphil3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06468
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub
1961 Cub
1963 Cub
1964 Cub Cadet 70
1969 Cub Cadet 125
100 Spreader
144 Cultivator
3 Field Cultivator
22 Sickle Mower
193 Plow
54-Plow
59 Wood's Mower
2030 John Deere
Circle of Safety: Y

QA-42 Question

Postby pharmerphil3 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Good Day All,
I just picked up my "new to me" QA-42 snowblower for $100.00. It is in excellent shape, but it is missing 1 part, the rod that rotates the shoot. Can someone please post a "clear" photo of one so I can see how it attaches to the shoot, along with its length, & diameter. Any help would be appreciated. :D
Thanks for your time,
Phil

qa-42 5.jpg
qa-42.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Re: QA-42 Question

Postby JimT » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:10 pm

I think you can find the information you need here.

http://www.cubcadetcollectors.com/manua ... temId=5464

Good luck, I hope this helps.

PS: When you get to the page you want keep clicking on the page until it gets to it largest view.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:29 pm

Phil:

That was one of the parts that I fabricated for Gord's QA-36 thrower. Wasn't difficult even with my meager welding skills at the time. If I can weld it up, so can you. I can post all the pics and how I did it if you would like. Let me know.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:49 pm

I have quoted the relevant parts of an older thread .. Cub Cadet 108 Project which saves me redoing the whole piece. I hope this helps. If needed I can call Gord tomorrow and ask him what the length of the actual rod was.

Gord is missing entirely the Chute Control Rod and the Rod Guard. The original rod was broken off just aft of the pin where it connects to the Chute Swivel Control, and in the pic below you can see the break. Sorry for the lousy quality.. but I am using my old Kodak that a friend sent me, cause Em won't let me use Her Digital... :shock: :cry: Just as good, cause I would probably get it full of grease.. :roll: :oops: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Bruce gave us a clue as what we needed to use to start the fabrication..

This needed a few minor fixes. First it needed to have the female end bored out to accept a 3/8" Cold Rolled Steel Rod that would become the new Chute Control Rod.

The male end needed to be welded into a 3/8" Universal Threaded Union. The Union needed to be bored out to 3/8" as well to fit over the end of the broken shaft and also be bored out to accept a cotter pin to connect the two parts.

The next step was to test fit the individual parts after boring was completed and prior to the welding attempt :shock: :!:

Image Image

Success :!: :shock: :roll: :? :lol: Shocked me all to heck, I can tell ya.. I am not used to these kinds of projects actually working.... :roll: :shock: :? :shock: So I guess it was time to bit the bullet, and take it over to Dad's to weld er up. I just bought the ground clamp I need for my Arc Welder and it isn't installed yet, to I have to use Dad's stick welder. That's okay, cause it is the one I am used to..
Here it is all cleaned up..

What is really surprising is that the universal still is a universal joint with movement on all axis on both joints.. unbelievable.. for me that is..

Here is the test fit on the Swivel Assembly..

And Gord fitting it to his QA-36A Snow Thrower.

Image.

I guess the point of this thread is to encourage those who haven't tried to fix up their Cub Cadets or in the other vein their larger Red or Yaller & White Cubs as well, to go ahead and try. It is tons of fun, you will learn a lot, and as you learn (hopefully with a buddy around to keep yer spirits up), new techniques and skills, you will become a lot more confident around your equipment. I know I sure am enjoying this.. and the time I get to spend with my Father-in-law Norman and my very close friend Gord.. is absolutley priceless.

Phil, does this help :?:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

pharmerphil3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06468
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub
1961 Cub
1963 Cub
1964 Cub Cadet 70
1969 Cub Cadet 125
100 Spreader
144 Cultivator
3 Field Cultivator
22 Sickle Mower
193 Plow
54-Plow
59 Wood's Mower
2030 John Deere

Postby pharmerphil3 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:47 am

Thank you Rudi, that is exactly what I need! :D Also, thank you to everyone for their advise, and help. The people on this site are the best!! :{_}:
Phil

Return to “Cub Cadet”