This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tire Chains - 1970 Lo Boy

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
WestDeerPirate
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15044
Tractors Owned: 1970 International Cub Low Boy 154

Tire Chains - 1970 Lo Boy

Postby WestDeerPirate » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:11 am

What size tire chains do I need for these rear tires? 1970 Cub Lo-Boy. Are these 13.6 x 16 by any chance?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Re: Tire Chains - 1970 Lo Boy

Postby b52c130 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:15 am

Westdeer,
Yes they are 13.6 x 16 tires.

Tire chains as readily available for them from such places as tirechains.com.

The first thing that you need before adding tire chains are the rear wheel spacers which are about 2-3/4" wide on each side. Used on ebay, when available, they usually go for about $200 to $250. You need the spacers so that the chains will clear the fenders.

The next thing that you need is the ability to add about #300 - #400 pounds of weight on the rear end so that the large foot print tires don't just sit and spin. I guess that you might be able to rube goldberg something to hold that weight on the back. Or, you could add a three point hitch with a carry all to put the weight on. A three point hitch, used on ebay, generally goes for $650 to $750 when available.

Some people switch the wheels for Winter use to the narrow rim ag type wheels and tires and wheel weights that are found on the red Farmall type cub loboys. It is a much cheaper alternative.

Hope that this helps, NJDale

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14733

Postby kawman14733 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:03 pm

the cheapest set i found for the turfs are a tad under 200 . 159.10 +40.46 shipping item # is 370459184371 . i got lucky and a member sold me ag tires on rims with the 150# weights on each wheel ..thanx again ted.. they work great can drive around the house with a foot of snow but now i need the skinny front tires with the weights also becouse it just plows and wont turn..but i need chains still for anything on a incline thats hard packed ...ITEM # IS ON EBAY

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kawman14733 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Image here is the spacers you need inbetween the multi colers of yeller and red

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kawman14733 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:00 pm

Image here is the ags rims and 150lb weights i picked up for 200.and you can double stack the weights to 300 on each wheel if needed

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Postby b52c130 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 am

kawman,
Next year when you re-mount the rims and tires - put the left on the right and vice versa. The treads are 'directional' and the chevrons are supposed to be pointing forward when looking at the top of the tire. Take a look around at pictures of other ag tires.
NJDale

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kawman14733 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 am

b52c130 wrote:kawman,
Next year when you re-mount the rims and tires - put the left on the right and vice versa. The treads are 'directional' and the chevrons are supposed to be pointing forward when looking at the top of the tire. Take a look around at pictures of other ag tires.
NJDale

thanx that must be y it goes better in reverse . god i love this site. steve

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:05 pm

I just fabricated a set of tire chains for these 13.6x16 turf tires lastyear. I got the cross links from ebay and i think they were 17" hook to hook or larger. I purchased the side chains from tire chain on the net with the hook and fast connectors. I just fabricated a set of ladder chains with the ice bars for the turf tires. You could load the tires with liquid for an additional weight of 317 lbs. per tire. That should do it. Even your skinny front tires can be loaded too. I don't recomend the 10" rim wide turf tires on the front when snowplowing. I have used the 4 groove 400:12 turf tires too and they just slide all around. So far my 600-12 ag's on the front haven't been that bad. I wonder if tire chains on the front will prevent it from sliding all around too. My driveway is gravel and dirt and i do plow off road at times too. I probably have the worst situations for plowing with a tractor. Bill

With using the 8,3x24 tires using two sets of the 150lb wheel weights has worked the best for me on my fcub which is the samey same as my int154. Either way the skinny rear tires are the best to plow with because the weight is higher in the smaller foot print. The larger/wider turf tires displace the weight more so there is less pressure on the ground. Think of it as snowshoes and no snowshoes in deep snow.

http://www.TractorSmart.com/Farm_Tracto ... allast.htm remember to book mark this site for the ballast info.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kawman14733 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:07 pm

the ags and weights made a huge diff now i need some chains and im gonna get the skinnys for the front and hopefully be all painted up plow all sorted out and be able to plow my secondary driveway with the cub, my cj with a plow makes a mess of the secondary driveway

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:32 pm

kawman14733 wrote:the ags and weights made a huge diff now i need some chains and im gonna get the skinnys for the front and hopefully be all painted up plow all sorted out and be able to plow my secondary driveway with the cub, my cj with a plow makes a mess of the secondary driveway

First don't expect the int154 or any fcub to plow like your jeep 4x4 cj does. I have a 55 cj 5 with two lockers in the diff's with a 4 way plow and nothing can match it. It takes me longer to plow with the tractor because it can't take the full blade of snow when its heavy snow. You have to take little bites. The int154/fcub is no jeep 4x4 for sure. My jeep or any jeep will run circles around any 154/fcub tractor thats a fact. When the orginal frame rusted out i took a 73 cj5 v8 frame and boxed it with 3/8" boiler plate from the front to the rear. Then i soaked it with the orginal army green paint so it will never rust out again. Its a jeep thing....

The 154/fcub will push snow its just a matter of how long you want to be outside. With the duo-ladder chains its much better than using ladder chains on the ag tires. I'm not getting any wheel spin now.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kawman14733 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:01 pm

BigBill wrote:
kawman14733 wrote:the ags and weights made a huge diff now i need some chains and im gonna get the skinnys for the front and hopefully be all painted up plow all sorted out and be able to plow my secondary driveway with the cub, my cj with a plow makes a mess of the secondary driveway

First don't expect the int154 or any fcub to plow like your jeep 4x4 cj does. I have a 55 cj 5 with two lockers in the diff's with a 4 way plow and nothing can match it. It takes me longer to plow with the tractor because it can't take the full blade of snow when its heavy snow. You have to take little bites. The int154/fcub is no jeep 4x4 for sure. My jeep or any jeep will run circles around any 154/fcub tractor thats a fact. When the orginal frame rusted out i took a 73 cj5 v8 frame and boxed it with 3/8" boiler plate from the front to the rear. Then i soaked it with the orginal army green paint so it will never rust out again. Its a jeep thing....

The 154/fcub will push snow its just a matter of how long you want to be outside. With the duo-ladder chains its much better than using ladder chains on the ag tires. I'm not getting any wheel spin now.

ya my cj with the big strait six auto tranz is awsome plowing. even has a forklift in the back of it with the hard top i should build a 3 point for it and make it a tractor :D ,,been a plow truck since day 1.. never been titled ,, 26 thousand miles plowing snow . was used at my uncles airport and i bought it to plow with and to move my plane around the hanger with the plane tire lift setup.. ill have my plow working next week on the cub. but still gonna need chains.hoping to use it on secondary drive so i dont have to put shoes on the jeep plow ..and wont have to put all the gravel back in the spring from the jeep plow.just trying to save myself some work im getting worn out

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 am

My home made duo-cross- ladder chains are earning there keep. My int154 is running like it has a live rear axle it has that much more traction.

For the first timers when using these awesome tractors when snowplowing;

Don't get me wrong the 154/fcubs can plow with success but its a different way of plowing snow than with a 4x4. You can stick the 2wheel drive tractor right away if were no paying any attention to the way we run it. I've seen many operators stick a 4x4 too. People think we just drop the plow and push snow its that easy, "NOT". Its a whole new learning process to be successful with a tractor plowing snow. Its having the tractor setup right too. I notice and lerarn something different every time i plow now with my int154. The right tire chains and wheel weights are the biggest factor in pushing snow. Then its how we drive it too. In deeper snow once we get her going with a full blade on an angle of snow crank that baby up and keep it going. Remember we need a clear path to back up when were doing piling it up. We need a clear path behind us all the time. So keep the plow down as much as possible. Momentum is a big factor when snow plowing deeper snow. Its like climbing a hill in a two sheel drive car if we keep the momentum going we good to go and the minute we slow down its all over. When were on uneven ground with up hills and down hills when snowplowing momentum is the key. Its also better to plow down hill on the first few passes too to open the path up to keep the traction. Most of my tractor experience is with hilly and uneven gravel driveway and offroad with the int154 plowing snow. I do plan my moves when plowing too. It makes it that much easier without doing the same area over and over.

My int154 really impressed me today it pushed 12"+ of snow with very little problems. It needs to be tweeked a little by i'm managing with it now.

Lastyear i burned 5 gallons of gas the whole winter snow plowing. This year i'm up to 21 gallons of gas right now after this last storm. With the gas tank filled right now for the next snow storm. I've only burned 25 gallons of gas once so far in the winter. Were going to break all the records this year. I'm putting next years firewood near the house in the spring so i'm ready sooner than later too. A weekend hop to vegas looks good???

My jeep cj5 tractor is screaming at me put me in coach but she is staying on the bench resting this year so far. I may just start it up soon and have it ready. With two more months of snow storms to go who knows what can happen. Right now i'm thinking about a two stage snowblower on my int154 cub. We do plan on paving the driveway soon in the springtime. It has been predicted that we will see worse and worse winters in north america until we have a mini ice age in 2038. Stay warm hug a woodstove today....

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 am

Maybe we all can plan a weekend cubfest in the spring to fab tire chains??? Take a day, take some tire chains, a grill and some dogs/burgers and make a day of it??? Maybe some sausage patties and some redhots too? On a wood fire??

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kawman14733 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:50 pm

how much ya think ya saved making em. got a pic of the set up your using ,,im thinking of theseImage 300 big ones to my door

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kawman14733 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:57 pm

BigBill wrote:Maybe we all can plan a weekend cubfest in the spring to fab tire chains??? Take a day, take some tire chains, a grill and some dogs/burgers and make a day of it??? Maybe some sausage patties and some redhots too? On a wood fire??

where you from bill i live 80 miles south of buffalo on pa border

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”