This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow plowing vs snowblowing???

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Snow plowing vs snowblowing???

Postby BigBill » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 am

So far so good with the int154 snowplowing its doing awesome so far. I'm impressed with it. I remember lastyear my fcub was just as good at pushing snow too. With three months to go i see no end in site. I'm running out of room to pile it up. My thoughts and questions are how good are the snowblowers on the int154 cubs??? I'm thinking about getting a snowblower attachment for next winter? How far can they throw snow??? Bill

The next time we hit 30 degrees i'm firing the jeep tractor up to push the 4' piles of snow farther back. I'm starting to get snowed in. I'm thinking, my gutt feeling is we haven't got or seen the "BIG ONE"" yet.......... :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: The storm to end all storms, the big kahuna of snow storms, the one to break the record for our lifetime, the 1888 blizzard of 2010 we might say. I think its comming soon to a neighborhood near you, me too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Snow plowing vs snowblowing???

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:59 am

I think your "Big One" is coming soon. :lol:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Postby Phazer » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:05 pm

I use a Cub Cadet 129 w/snowblower for my removal. With something of this size, I wouldn't even think of using a blade. I don't have to worry about pushing it back far enough at the begining of winter and then have those piles freeze solid. Ground speed is at a minimum so running into things isn't much of an issue either.

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Joe Malinowski » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Bill, I have a cub set up with a plow but it hasn't seen any snow this year. I use a John Deere 330 powered by a Yanmar diesel with a model 49 single stage snow thrower. I have two driveways that are about 120 feet long and 2 plus car widths wide. That JD sure throws the snow a good distance it is piled up in a row about 15 feet from the edge of the pavement. I would have been in trouble with a cub, actually with any plow rig. Would have had to bring in a loader by now for sure. Best thing I ever did for snow blowing was to adapt a cab made fore a wheel horse, I stay dry and out of the wind. But it can stop now really, please !
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 pm

I have a 108 cub cadet with the creeper and snow thrower here sleeping out back. But it doesn't throw the snow the way a two stage blower throws it.

My misses told me to get a new tractor with all the attachments. I told her your kidding me right? She doesn't know how much that can cost? But the new case ih farmall's do look good?

With my health the way it is its taking me a while to finish my FEL/backhoe on my int154. But i told her in the spring its the first thing on my list to finish. I hate to drop 30k or more on a new tractor then after my drainage work is finished it will sit there(maybe). I kind of like my int154 project. I have the rear subframe next then i'm on a roll with the rest. Right now an FEL would be great to pile the snow higher. I have a SIMS cab for the int154 already here. Plus its fun working on them. It kind of keeps me ticking. Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I think your "Big One" is coming soon. :lol:

I told the misses to have plenty of milk, canned goods, bread and meat in the house its comming soon. Even cans of baked beans with some dogs can keep us going. I have my generator ready too. Bill

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Phazer wrote:I use a Cub Cadet 129 w/snowblower for my removal. With something of this size, I wouldn't even think of using a blade. I don't have to worry about pushing it back far enough at the begining of winter and then have those piles freeze solid. Ground speed is at a minimum so running into things isn't much of an issue either.

Lastyear i had the fcub with the ih plow, the int154 with the ih plow, the 108 cub cadet with the snowthrower, my 70 cub cadet with the snow plow and my jeep cj5 tractor with the 4 way plow. I think i burned 5 gallons of gas all winter plowing. This year with the int154 alone i burned about 30 gallons now. I just filled my cans again yesterday. I keep 25 gallons ready here at all times. It could take up to 60 gallons of gas this year to plow snow. I can't complain yet i still have some room to put it. We need a melt down soon. Bill

Next year all my snow machines will be up and running again for sure. I never expected the winter to be this bad after lastyears winter being so easy.

patterdale
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 56586

Postby patterdale » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:31 am

I use a combination of plowing and blowing on a 1/2 mile long driveway. I plow to the middle and blow it out. (The driveway has a crown to it that draws me down into the ditch)That way It doesn't fill in to the height of the banks that would grow with each storm. The IH blower on the 154 works OK for this. Two stage on the blower and a few more horses would be perfect. (I tweeked my governor and throttle linkage a bit) Creeper gear would also be ideal.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:43 pm

I had 4" of wet snow with an ice crust on the top of it. The int154 pushed it all away with no problem. My only problem is we need to race to 6 weeks from now very quickly, i'm running out of room to put it. The ground hog says 6 more weeks of winter. I hope the over sized rodent is correct? So far so good i'm piling it up was we go. I already have an idea to make the plow bracket longer so the plow is a tad farther from the tractor, then i can make the lift linkage longer so it has more lift to pile snow higher. Right now i can just get it to 3' to 4' and i need to pile it at least 6' high. I did this feature on my jeep tractor already and its awesome to have the extra lift height. I have some spring projects to setup my snow equipment first so its already by the fall. Like a new clutch setup, dual rear wheel weights, swap out the ag tires with 8.3x24 turf tires which will work better with the tire chains. The duo-cross-ladder chains are working out awesome now on the ag's. I can't see being without them.

Next fall I figure to have my 154 with the snowplow set up even better, my 154 with the FEL (bucket) if i need that too, and my jeep tractor. I also want to look into a two stage snowblower too. Since the 154/fcubs don't really have the horsepower maybe run the blower from the hydraulics?

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:52 pm

Today was the true test for the 184 & the Model 50 Blower. It chewed (slowly) through 4 foot tall drifts. Had to take two bites at it. One bite out of the middle of the drift with the blower raised and a second bite to clean up the bottom. Sometimes Creeper Gear 1st is even too fast for the blower to keep up.
Need to find a way to tighten the PTO Belt. Would be nice to have one of those spring loaded tentioners on it.

Bill, you asked how far the blower would throw the snow. About 5-10 feet if you are at full RPM and moving 3-4" of snow. Most of it ends up in your face. Wear a scarf or something that covers your nose and mouth. You don't want to inhale that white (or yellow) stuff.
Don't forget that 2.5 feet is lost just throwing over the width of the blower. It doesn't move the snow far away, but it completely eliminates the piles of snow that you have when you plow. Most of it is pumped into the air and blows away. You do have to plan carefully as rocks get launched extra distance. I try to point the blower chute downwind even if I have to blow it twice.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Phazer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46975

Postby Phazer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:55 pm

BigBill wrote:I also want to look into a two stage snowblower too. Since the 154/fcubs don't really have the horsepower maybe run the blower from the hydraulics?

I'd suggest mounting a small gas engine to the blower so it was self-contained except for the lift part. You then could even idle it down for slower ground speed and not affect the performance of the blower.

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Postby b52c130 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:20 pm

From all the research that I have done, the #50 blower is just too big for 15HP to 18HP. To effectively drive a 60" wide blower you need about 25 HP to the blower. 20 HP would be the minimum and about 30HP the maximum needed. The HP determines the speed at which you can put the snow through the blower and also the distance that it will throw it.

The only practical solution that I have ever been able to come up with is to that you need the 3 point hitch and creeper options; then mount a 'carry-all' on the 3 point hitch with a separate engine on it to power the blower. Mounting the new blower drive engine on the 3 point will add the weight on the rear wheels and help lighten the weight on the front tires that the beast #50 puts on the front end. At the low HP end a nice Onian 20 HP would do. At the upper HP end a nice Wisconsin V4 would be great. Both are horizontal engines and are relatively inexpensive and somewhat readily available.

Of course, you would have to have a cab and heater to effectively handle the white blizzard that this would produce.

I researched all of this for my son who has a 184 and a #50 snow thrower who lives in Colorado at 7,300 feet elevation. He ended up deciding to make due with the 184 and #54 blade for the next couple of years and then spend the money on a 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive pick-up and plow. I went that route 15 years ago and from the nice warm cab with good wipers, have not looked back since.

Hope that this might help someone, NJDale

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14733

Postby kawman14733 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:03 pm

ya i agree tractors to small ,,jeep with wipers and heat is the way im going. iv been trying to plow my drive way with the 154 and it takes 3 hrs to 30 mins in the cj .i have 1000 foot of drive ways to plow on a steep hill was hoping to do the top and gravel one with cub to save me from puting plow shoes on and off but iv came to thinking its worth doing that then useing the cub.small drives it would be fine im asking alot out of it.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 am

Blowing the snow has it's advantages.... Just far more mechanically complex and I would have broken windows and cracked houses if used the Gravely.

I will ask my friend how he made out this winter with his McKee 5' blower on his 154.... biggest problem I know of is rear weight on the tractor. Not sure how he solved it. Complex rigging to get the PTO drive out front, but it's a giant snowblower.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:37 pm

I already put a rock thru my very large windows on my house with my cc 108 with the 42" mower deck. Trust me i couldn't of made a more accurate shot than that rock. Its a 1/4" double pane thermo pane glass thats about 5' x 6' i don't want to see the bill on this one.

I'm thinking i can make one of my int154's with the snowblower and off set the weight on the front by having a 3pt hitch on the rear with a cement block to even it out. Plus the loaded rear tires and extra wheel weights. I still have the 4x4 jeep tractor with the extra pulley on the crankshaft. Thats another option. I'm not sure if its 45hp or 75hp.

Next winter i will have the FEL running on my other int154 thats what i really need as the snow piles up more and more now. I'd like to have a two stage blower too, then if i can't plow it i can blow it and if all else fails i can scoop it up with the bucket and pile it up. I'm running out of room to put the snow now. With 6 more weeks to go and were still getting hammered with snow. We haven't got the big one yet. One more storm and we'll shovel off the roof again. Its all good. But the guy in england said our winters will be getting worse and worse. So equipment wise i need to get everything running.
Bill

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”