This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Snow plowing vs snowblowing???

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Re: Snow plowing vs snowblowing???

Postby b52c130 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am

Outdoors,
On the back of the long under-slung drive shaft, at the rearmost bearing point - the bearing holder plate has vertical slotted holes in it (where it mounts to the small cross member between the "J" bars (3 PT Hitch) or the "U" shaped hitch bar (non-3 PT)).

The vertical slots allow the whole drive shaft to move up or down about 3/4" to tighten the double rear drive belts. If the adjustment is at its end already, then the belts are stretched and you need new ones. - NJDale

Bill,
I checked out the mounting of the #50 thrower onto a jeep and that looked like a VERY good option. The Jeep's the biggest stumbling block was getting a hydraulic pump on the engine to raise the blower. Given the horse power difference between a 154 and a jeep - I would put it on the jeep. - NJDale

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:47 pm

b52c130 wrote:Outdoors,
On the back of the long under-slung drive shaft, at the rearmost bearing point - the bearing holder plate has vertical slotted holes in it (where it mounts to the small cross member between the "J" bars (3 PT Hitch) or the "U" shaped hitch bar (non-3 PT)).

The vertical slots allow the whole drive shaft to move up or down about 3/4" to tighten the double rear drive belts. If the adjustment is at its end already, then the belts are stretched and you need new ones. - NJDale

Bill,
I checked out the mounting of the #50 thrower onto a jeep and that looked like a VERY good option. The Jeep's the biggest stumbling block was getting a hydraulic pump on the engine to raise the blower. Given the horse power difference between a 154 and a jeep - I would put it on the jeep. - NJDale

Your right with most of my jeep frame being boxed and double walled in some places with 3/8" thick steel plate and front end upper & lower being all heavy steel c channel and 4x4 x 3/8" angle too most of the work and fabrication is done on the jeep already. I may need to tight up my blow off valve a tad on my hydraulic pump that lifts the plow and turns it so it can lift the blower. I can also give the lifting arm more mechanical advantage by using the old lever system to my advantage too by making the lift arm longer. I can run the snowblower from a different hydraulic pump too. But if i run the blower constantly with the hydraulics the 1 gallon of oil per 1 gpm of the pump rule goes into affect too because of the constant running and the heat build up in the oil. This is why the state highway mowers all have that large capacity oil tank to actually keep the oil cooler with more volumne. We need to keep the oil temps well under the flash point of the oil. We know that heat and dirt is the biggest killer of the hydraulic parts in the system. I don't like to run the hydraulics when there really hot at all, when we can avoid that in the design upfront now. I'm sure we can run withy less volumne of oil with the snowblower in the winter/cold but having the oil tank larger and not filling it all the way gives us more room for more oil if need be if she is running hot. Preheating the oil in the cold is another thing. If building a snowblower i know the gravely ratio to 1 turn on the auger, the first stage to 10 turns on the sceond stage fan is the key to getting rid of the snow fast and throwing it farther away too. 1 to 10 ratio Having a snowblower may just be the hot ticket to all the snow were getting now. With the prediction of our winters will get worse and worse until the mini ice age in 2038 by the guy in England comes true, which i hope not, but its a what if right? With mother nature starting to show us what she can really do, i hope she doen't get madder at us and throws in the kitchen sink. There's a reason all those older houses had roof escape hatches on the roofs. We need them right now with all the snow on our roofs. Now we need a machine for clearing off the roofs?
Bill
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby b52c130 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Bill,
I believe that it would be much simpler to just run a short drive shaft straight out from the hurricane crankshaft with a universal joint on both ends and a pillow block bearing directly to the front. I am pretty sure that is how the old capstan rope winch accessory was run. The capstan was run to a in/out box; but, today you could run the drive shaft to a 25 HP or larger electric clutch to drive the snow blower.

Even though the #50 single stage snow thrower is probably not as good as a nice McKee two stage blower - with enough HP, I am sure that the #50 that you already have would do a nice job.

The #50 chute can be easily hooked up to an old windshield wiper motor to make an electric chute rotater.
Dale

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby b52c130 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:02 pm

Bill,
Just to start you drooling. - Dale
Attachments
1963 CJ3B with Snowblower Right Side Small.jpg
1963 CJ3B with Snow Blower - Right Side
1963 CJ3B with Snowblower Small - 1.jpg
1963 CJ3B with Snow Blower - Front

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:10 pm

The CJ3B is my favorite jeep. We took this jeep hunting in the green mountains up were no man has ever been on the very old washed out logging roads. I always wanted to put a CJ3B body on my '73 CJ5 frame. (tractor) Just to play with.

My cousin had a farm and gas station and had a CJ5 jeep with a plow and an English jeep with a snowblower. They were neat to look at.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14733

Postby kawman14733 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:32 pm

b52c130 wrote:Bill,
Just to start you drooling. - Dale

kawman wrote now there is a snow thrower :D

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”