This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Is Bashful napping or ??? NO - HE IS RUNNING !!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Is Bashful napping or ???

Postby Winfield Dave » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 pm

OliverFarmall wrote: my only thought is really weak spark ? Or the ignition switch isn't properly functioning...

When I checked the spark at the coil, it would jump almost 1/2" on the tester...
No ignition switch hooked up...
Baffling is a good description for me too :shock:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

56cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15057

Postby 56cub » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:31 pm

I am not sure but do you have the right spark plug wires on it for a Mag? I think that you need to use a different kind of wire for a magneto compared to a distributor.

CPIII
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77355
eBay ID: czechiii
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub SN 54XXX (Captain Crunch)
47 Farmall A (Patches)

Postby CPIII » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 am

As the wires go ...during an issue I had I was told that the wires would make a difference. So I put out $35 dollars for a solid copper wire set and no change at all. After I identified and fixed the real problem (Hairline crack on the insulator for the kill switch connection on inside the mag) I tried both sets of wires and I couldn't tell any difference in the quality of spark. I would pull the mag and check the insulator on the kill switch connection. On mine I couldn't see the crack until the nut on the kill switch connection was fully tightened down. What I did to temporarily fix it until I received replacement parts was to coat the insulator with liquid tape. .......actually it is still like that even though I recieved that parts ...has been running great for over 6 months now...if and when I have a reason to go back into the mag I will replace them then ....

Good Luck ...hope this helps..
Charles Patek III
Some days - Chicken.......Some days - Feathers
Words to live by....

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Well, I put new points and new rotor [mag rotor that is - ouch $$$] on...
Pulled carb from Hercules [a runner], put the pony tank on, and Bashful fired up and ran!!!! :{_}:

Put his carb back on and he started and ran with it...
Put the old rotor back on - trying to figure out why he wouldn't start before - and he started and ran with the old rotor.

The only thing different is the points and running with pony tank instead of shooting starting fluid at manifold.

I'm done trying to figure it out...he is running! :{_}:

Actually, he sounded real good running...Very strong...
Thinking I might try to Cub Express him to the Tug...Win the Tug with him...and then sell the Tug Winner on the spot. :lol: :lol:

Thanks again everyone for your comments and suggestions thru this entire post !! :D

:?: BTW...have you ever seen a throw out bearing carrier like this?...It's round...homemade? :?:
IMG_0528.JPG

Never mind about the throw out bearing carrier...Found in the parts manual that there are 2 different types...I had only ever seen the square one...Still...this one looks different than TM pic below...also, grease fitting seems inaccessible....will look at it more today...needs a finger and pedal travel adjustment...
Last edited by Winfield Dave on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Re: Is Bashful napping or ??? NO - HE IS RUNNING !!!

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Dave, Are you sure it wasn't you chanting "parts Cub, parts Cub" that got Bashful running? :D Glad to hear the problems are gone, whatever they were.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Re: Is Bashful napping or ??? NO - HE IS RUNNING !!!

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:07 am

wow, quite a saga. that sure is a good feeling when they fire up! you have earned it. Bob may be right, was he (bashful) just toying with you, maybe heard the change in your voice ( serious) the last time you said parts cub , within earshot :wink: :wink: . i think you have earned the trooper of the month ! :lol: coppersmythe..........................

Return to “Farmall Cub”