This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

This is no BS I seen it...

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

This is no BS I seen it...

Postby BigBill » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:57 am

The well guys came to dig with a bota 4x4 with FEL/hoe. They had problems trying to get thru the snow/ice in my yard. I seen wheel spin before they even got to the bad areas. My int154 with my duo-cross X ring ladder chains had more traction thatn there 4x4 with no chains. I'm very surprised that with all the weight the 4x4 had no better tract6ion than my 154 with the tire chains and rear wheel drive. I had no problem going thru some areas were they had problems. I know ice is a stopper with any machines but i never knew the 154 was that good with tire chains. The bota also had no locking diff too thats a big missing option not to have in a 4x4. The3 traction is 25% more than two wheel drive tractor yet 50% less traction with out it on the 4x4. This proves to me we still can setup the 2wd tractor to do this work if we do it right.

Years aqgo in the late 50's/early 60's we plowed with a 1 to old ford truck 2wd with two 55 gallon drums filled with water and heavy tire chains. This truck went all over the place in the snow too. The old timers knew how to set up the equipment to make it work when there were no 4x4's yet. I still know the 4x4 is better when its setup right too but we can get by with the 2wd tractor too if we do it right thats my point. Bill

BTW; Its all about the tire chains, the wheel weights and the added on external weight too if needed. I wish we had a locker in the diff too. I still may inquire about it and have them special made for my cubs/cub cadets.

Nothing on the planet will match a 4x4 with two lockers in the diff's. My logging truck had a dana 44 front axle and a dana 70 11,000lb rear axle with two lockers and it went anywhere off raod i had to go to drive up to get the wood. The truck with a 12" lift kit with 72 leaf springs would go anywhere a skidder would go most of the time.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: This is no BS I seen it...

Postby Landreo » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:14 pm

Be careful posting something like this, people might thing the 154 is a good tractor! :wink:

Many years ago I drove a R model Mack road tractor with full screw rears and some sort of auto locking feature. When a side started to spin you would hear a clunk and everything behind the transmission seemed like it locked into one giant chunk. As long as the semi was full there was no getting stuck.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:52 am

Landreo wrote:Be careful posting something like this, people might thing the 154 is a good tractor! :wink:

Many years ago I drove a R model Mack road tractor with full screw rears and some sort of auto locking feature. When a side started to spin you would hear a clunk and everything behind the transmission seemed like it locked into one giant chunk. As long as the semi was full there was no getting stuck.

I never stuck my 4x4 1 ton truck once and after i put my aggressive duo-cross ladder chains on my int154 the traction problem with the ladder chains on the ag's was solved. I could idle plowing snow thats the way i like to run my equipment nice and easy so nothing breaks.

food for thought; The limited slip posi's would let out a loud bang in the drag cars during the hole shot and you could just about hear it with the headers capped. Its normal and just the clutch plates and springs doing there job. Years ago we had a brand new '68 s/s chevelle with a 375hp/396 cu with 4:88's posi in the rear with a M22 tranny that has that wine. We won so much cash with this car as stock. but we did retune it. It was a dog when the engine first blew but GM replaced the engine on warrenty and the guy who did the work knew his onions back then because she had more power than before. We even beat the built Hemi road runners and walked away from the built goats too(GTO's). Its the driver too. But we really ate good that summer with the winnings. I put that exact valve train right from GM in my 325hp/396cu '68 engine from a wreck. I ported the heads, notched the cylinders for the extra exhaust valve flow, added the upper and lower windage trays, a roller timing chain and degreed the stock cam to make sure it had the correct valve timing to the crank. The i did the 50 degree total advance at 2,000rpm using the weight kit with the heavier weights and the lightest springs under the rotor and the accell points plus i used the vaccumne hose to get the total advanve correct at 2,000rpm. I had 299hp at the rear wheels on the full body car dyno with just a 780 holley. With a new super T10 borg with the lowest first gear that was acvailable and 488's in the pumpkin it went 12.85 on the quarter. But i had to shift at 5,500 rpm i lost power because i forgot to turn on the electric fuel pump. I went thru the traps at 3,500rpm. That told me i needed at least 538's in the pumpkin to go thru the traps at the higher rpm's. I put it on the car dyne soon after and found out the peak rmp/torque range to be 6,800rpm. with the fuel pump on of course. With the fuel pump on she should of hit the high 11's in the quarter. But i was very happy i got in the 12's that day with a 4,050lb impala body. This older impala had the real positraction unit and no limited slip.

The moral of the story is to wire the electric fuel pump to the ignition switch all the time so it comes on when the key is turned on.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

kawman14733
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14733

Postby kawman14733 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:19 pm

tottaly agree with ya :D

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Landreo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm

In my youth, the hot car in the area was a Dodge Charger with a 440 and there were a few goats also. No 426 hemi engines that I knew of. A few 454's also.

I drove around in my Ford Pinto, grabber blue color with an optional deluxe AM radio. I did install a Radio Shack tach for some reason. The good old days.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:55 am

Back then the big block chevy's and the mopar wedge engines(413's, 440's) ruled the roads. There were hemi roadrunners, super bee's, cuda's and challangers back in the day too. But it was the older 413 dual quad ram setup thatset the bar really high and started it all off back in the day.

My buddy who had a new challanger back then with a 440 six pack was a wimp to really drive it. Me and my other buddy threw him in the back seat and i pushed the 440 six pac to its limits. With the 4 speed pistol grip shifter i took this little power house up to 120mph in a heartbeat. Crusing at 120mph i dropped the hammer on the six pac and the speedo went up to 140mph right away. They just don't make these like this anymore. Bill

BTW; These older higher horsepower 440's had the same torque specs(similiar) to the V10's. The only difference is the two extra cylinders run smoother. I would like to see the 440 of the past duke it out with the v10 of today. Sorry hemi lovers i'm partial to the old wedge engines.

You know we can take an older muscle car and put a few $$ into it, tune it right and woop any new so called muscle car today. There's no feeling when those slicks finally stop spinning and grab the asphalt and the G forces sink you back in the seat on the hole shot. I miss those days and the power.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”