This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Member - Just Bought a Farmall

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GeneL74
10+ Years
10+ Years

New Member - Just Bought a Farmall

Postby GeneL74 » Sun May 15, 2005 9:58 pm

Hello All!

I just purchased a 1945 Farmall Model A, and have been browsing for an online discussion forum to learn more about this tractor and other Farmall's.

I have been a member on a number of other (unrelated to tractors) forums, and while I did run across a few other Farmall discussion groups, this one had the more user friendly format, and most importantly, everyone here seems to be VERY friendly and helpful, so here I am.....

I live in South Central Kentucky, and basically have no use whatsoever for a tractor (lol) but I have always wanted one, and plan to make this a winter project..... Hopefully fix it up, do a paintjob, etc.

When I set out looking for a Farmall, I REALLY wanted a Cub, but a local guy who is not going to raise tobacco anymore offered me a real good deal on this Model A with Cultivators, so............

I have taken the cultivators off the tractor, and would really like to have a single blade plow for it..... I am going to try to list a picture of my tractor, and also of a plow which I believe is meant for a Cub. If I am not mistaken these plows have a handlift, and I was wondering if any of you could tell me if this style plow can be mounted on the Model A as well..... If so, I am going to try to find one for my A.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun May 15, 2005 10:09 pm

Welocme to the board

That type plow was used on a cub, and there was a similar one for the Super A. I beleve however the ne for the A was quite a bit different.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Wed May 18, 2005 7:09 pm

John: I have two or three of those plows that are with my cub stuff. Do you remember or know how they were painted new? I don't and by the time I was really 'helping' here on the farm they had been used for years and I just don't remember if they were painted except by the rusty patina over the years. ...also, good looking 'A' and I would be proud of it ifn' I was you.
Capt Jack (Scurlock)
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Wed May 18, 2005 7:13 pm

the plow was IH Blue. and the moleboard was varnished from the factory
Image On To Bigger Things

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Wed May 18, 2005 8:26 pm

Thanks, guess I had better get some IH Blue and Varnish. (sailors are good at varnishing things). Thanks again.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 18, 2005 9:06 pm

Earlier ones were blue, but I think they went to red in mid 49 or so, but not sure about that. As Scotty said, molboards were varnished from factory, but it has to be removed for plowing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Thu May 19, 2005 9:14 am

Is there a way to tell the year they were mfg? I am at a race this weekend and will dig them out when I get back to the shop incase there is such a thing as a serial or model #. It is hot and muggy in Houston today. Thank
jack

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu May 19, 2005 1:45 pm

The early Cub plows remained blue through production. The Fast-Hitch plows had red beams.

Not much to look at to tell year a plow was made. The side draft chain was added at some point. Later plows are likely to have a Plow Chief bottom.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”