Since I have been going to night school for to get me an edumacation ..
well at least some basic technical/hands on knowledge on how to weld properly I figured I may as well make a project that I can use
So that is what I did.
When I built my Wood Splitter
I knew I would have to store it some place when it wasn't on Ellie or the Massey. Ray and I came up with an idea to store the splitter on the wall - which would serve a couple purposes. 1 - the splitter needs to be able to be mounted on Ellie by one person - usually me. I am limited to how much I can safely lift/force into place, so something had to be designed that would fulfill that need. 2 - it needs to be out of the way. What I came up with and built addresses both those parameters well. It will take some getting used to, and my reverse skills will get much better as I mate splitter to bracket
Here is what the business end of the splitter looks like. The whole idea of the project is for this part to slide onto the storage bracket business end:
Best way to do anything is to draw it first. Now I haven't drawn mechanical plans since grade 9 - almost 44 years ago. I mainly work with building construction/architectural/furniture drawing so I is a bit rusty. Click on the links for the full size scan.Plan ViewElevationSide View
Material for this project is pretty simple. 1 pc of 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" x 48" Angle Iron and 1 pc of 5" x 1-1/4" x 11-3/4" C Channel. This project was done on a Miller combination GMAW/SMAW/Tig welder using the Mig application with gas. This is far easier than stick and it was fun.
Pretty simple to do - make sure the C Channel is centered on the Angle Iron and square, tack weld it in 4 - 6 spots and then proceed with the fillet welds. Here are some pics.
Wasn't happy with how I ran the first bead in one small section, so a second bead was applied, just not all the way. To make it pretty I should have run from end to end I guess - but that comes with practice.
Brought my project home, didn't even clean up the weld or remove the scale. Fixed that
To my mind, not bad for a beginner.
The second half of the project was pretty simple and really didn't need a plan aside from the one inside my cranium. While having the business end of the splitter perched on the storage bracket, it makes sense for some insurance so I fabricated this:
This should keep the other end of the splitter securely against the wall.
The hardest part of this section of the evenings projects was to weld the links to the 3" x 24" bar stock. At first I was going to simply weld one end of the chain to the bar stock but since the chain is galvanized that didn't work out so well. I picked up a couple of Grade 70 Self Coloured open links (when they cut chain they always have left over links and the guys at Princess gave me a bagful for future projects
) and tried to figure out which way was best to weld the chain link to the bar stock. I tried a few different positions but the opening always ended up skewed so I decided to weld the butts where the chain link was cut open. The one thing you have to watch is to not burn through the chain link cause it doesn't dissipate heat as well as the bar stock does, so a little practice was needed. Finally I was able to build up enough weld to ensure the link wasn't going anywhere. I then cut the link (where I had almost burned through
) cleaned up the rest of the goofed up weld and voila! ... a hook for the other end of the chain.
Will add more pics when the assembly is drilled, painted and mounted on the wall. (Right after I get Ellie running again and the ceiling in the pole barn finished
All in all I enjoyed this little project which provided me with something I needed as well as giving me some badly needed practice welding.
Next installment - Wood Splitter Storage Bracket - Part 2