This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Spell Check

FarmallCub.Com forum rules, suggestions, feedback & information.
Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Spell Check

Postby Joe Malinowski » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:12 am

I was just posting on Weekend Freedom Machines, sorry I know they are green and yellow,. What I did find is when you post they have a built in spell check feature on preview, is this anything that could be added to this far superior site ? I know at times I am spelling challenged.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Re: Spell Check

Postby Dennis » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Joe,

If I could find a reliable one, yes. The problems I've had in the past attempts to add it were, unreliable (link not working), slow because of overload from other forums, and the company went out of business (not enough revenue.)

For myself, I use Firefox and my wife "the walking dictionary" to aid me. Sorry, I don't loan her out. . . ;)

Dennis

PS: If you are using IE7, there are spell checker plugin's available.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:23 am

Joe:

As Dennis said, most spell checkers are not reliable.. and you have to accept the available dictionary. Only a few are really good. I have been using IESpell for a number of years for those times when I really need help with those gnarly words that have mutliple spellings/or are exceptions to rules. IESpell has US English as it's default and all I do is add the Canadian spellings to it as I go along. I like it so much that it is an automatic install on all computers I build. Unfortunately it isn't on the fly, you actually have to highlight the text. Much better for me that way. I find the on the fly is a PITA.

When I am working in Firefox.. well, it has built in spell check.

Yust me dos centavos mi amigo
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:01 am

Thanks for the answer, I have Firefox and the spell check on the mac works great also.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:14 am

I keep a hard copy of a dictionary on a shelf, just an arm's length away. It never fails me. :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:40 pm

George Willer wrote:I keep a hard copy of a dictionary on a shelf, just an arm's length away. It never fails me. :D

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:11 pm

For those of us who are say older than a half century.. I guess we all can remember spelling bees in class and with our year, grammar rules and composition class. English being one of the most important part of the Readin, Ritin and Rithmatic courses... :-:-): :{_}: and we all pretty well know what a Funk and Wagnall's or Oxford Unabridged or even Noah Webster's Unabridged Dictionary is/was.

Bill E Bob wrote:
George Willer wrote:I keep a hard copy of a dictionary on a shelf, just an arm's length away. It never fails me. :D

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!!

Some of us even got to be up close and personal with our dictionaries. Depending on what kind of mouth you might have had.. you might end up learning a few hundred pages of the above dictionaries. Now,if you had one like me.. you got to write it all out more than once :big what: :big give up: :big smile: I find that I still have a pretty good vocabulary and my spelling is pretty good. There are only a few words that give me grief.. and I have to resort sometimes to a spell check if I am in doubt. It is unfortunate that today nowhere near the emphasis is put on proper grammar, structure, punctuation, spelling and composition. Today what ever is easiest is the rule.. that is why I guess we have sentences such as "My Bad" or "What, You axed me sumthin?" just to name two of my biggest pet peeves of late.

Spell check is a good alternative to the printed word, but again, it is only as good as the operator using it..... spell check can do spelling, but does not understand grammar, context or tone/flavour.

Oh well...... :roll: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Rudi wrote: Today what ever is easiest is the rule.. that is why I guess we have sentences such as "My Bad" or "What, You axed me sumthin?" just to name two of my biggest pet peeves of late.

Spell check is a good alternative to the printed word, but again, it is only as good as the operator using it..... spell check can do spelling, but does not understand grammar, context or tone/flavour.

Oh well...... :roll: :D

Here's another pet peeve... The spell checker doesn't know which word the writer really means, but the printed dictionary can give the meaning of the word to prevent using the wrong one. I've been a one man band trying to get folks to use the right word when the spell check recognizes two or more versions. The one that drives me up the wall is when folks use "loose" (rhymes with "goose") when they really mean "lose" (rhymes with ooze). A quick look at a real dictionary will show which word is appropriate. It seems the error is becoming the norm. :(

When I was in grade school during WWII proper spelling was important. Why isn't it important now?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:47 pm

George Willer wrote:When I was in grade school during WWII proper spelling was important. Why isn't it important now?

Like arithmetic died with the hand calculator, spelling and grammar is dying with text messaging.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:48 am

Lurker Carl wrote:
George Willer wrote:When I was in grade school during WWII proper spelling was important. Why isn't it important now?

Like arithmetic died with the hand calculator, spelling and grammar is dying with text messaging.

Oh, the horror of it all!! The english language is dying with us dinosaurs. I refuse to even own a cellphone
so no texting for me :{_}: If you wish to see just how much the language arts have changed, read an older
"classic" novel. Ahhh, there was some language art!!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:26 pm

Joe Malinowski wrote:I was just posting on Weekend Freedom Machines, sorry I know they are green and yellow,. What I did find is when you post they have a built in spell check feature on preview, is this anything that could be added to this far superior site ? I know at times I am spelling challenged.

Just get EJP or me too help :lol: :lol:
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm

David Bennett wrote:
Joe Malinowski wrote:I was just posting on Weekend Freedom Machines, sorry I know they are green and yellow,. What I did find is when you post they have a built in spell check feature on preview, is this anything that could be added to this far superior site ? I know at times I am spelling challenged.

Just get EJP or me too help :lol: :lol:

Excellent suggestion David :big smile: :big give up:

JIm :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:56 pm

:stooges: My spelling is ok here, both due to Mozilla and taking time to PREVUE IT BEFORE POSTING. iN THE CHAT THOUGH, mOZILLA SPEEL CHECKE DOESN'T WORK.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

chugah chugah
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: crapsman lawn tractor
154 lowboy
ran an old steel wheeled ferguson in the 50's as a kid

Postby chugah chugah » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:19 am

Lurker Carl wrote:

:!:
Yeah, its a twitter world now
Hear the just law, the judgment of the skies:
He that hates truth shall be the dupe of lies;

Return to “Forum Rules, Suggestions, Feedback & Information”