shop workbench

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.

Moderator: Team Cub

dgrapes59
5+ Years
5+ Years
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2-1955 Loboy w FH
a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, CC Narrow Frames- 70 & 100's, 71, Couple 102's & 122's, 72, 124, 73, various CC options & implements #1 & 2 Trailers, 1963 Springfield, JD 770
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: shop workbench

Postby dgrapes59 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:57 pm

My primary workbench is in my garage and space is an issue, I would love to have an 8 or 10 foot one but space has stopped me. I don’t weld on, or near it so my approach is likely different than some might take. I purchased one similar to the metal Craftsman ones with half of the lower part with drawers, other half with shelves; that served my wants for storage. But I wanted it heavier and a bit taller so I took some laminated beams about 3” thick and cut to fit the top and laid them flat. I then took some heavy oak truck decking and glued and screwed an oak lip that covered the beams and the edge of the original workbench real snug. I have had the decking for years and figured it was time to use it! It looks like a 5” solid butcher block oak top. I coated the oak with several coats of poly. This added about 5” to the top of the original workbench and a bunch of solid weight. I mounted my vise to the corner of the top and it is real solid.

I put extenders on the metal back/upper shelf that included a 2X6” horizontal “backsplash” at the edge of the oak bench top. I mounted a 2-bulb florescent light on it (put plastic protective tube covers on the bulbs) under the shelf that was at the top. I mounted 20 amp receptacles on both ends of the 2X6 and a switch for the light. Just plug it into a 20A outlet and I am set to go!

I ran across a scrap Formica laminated table top that I cut to fit and put on top of the oak top for a “temporary”, disposable work surface that is easy to clean. So far it has held up well, I guess 3 or 4 years. My son joked it was a little anal, like wearing a belt with suspenders. :oops:

My grinder is on a separate stand, keeping some of the mess away from the bench work area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

Return to “Projects Forum”