This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

154 Clutch won't make contact

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
James Crews
10+ Years
10+ Years

154 Clutch won't make contact

Postby James Crews » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:46 am

Hello
I was operating a 154 the other day (not mine) and it ran just fine but seemed to gradually start slowing down while cutting grass in 2nd gear and I tried running in 3rd which seemed too fast but it jumped out of gear twice and i put it back in 2nd and ran a while longer and just stopped moving. The clutch seemed make some noise the gears shifted fine but would not move. I pushed it back to the barn and noticed that the clutch is turning freely without the driveshaft.I'm sure this has been seen by this forum a few times. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks for the help

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 154 Clutch won't make contact

Postby Landreo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:27 am

The clutch disc is attached to the drive shaft so should not turn unless the engine/driveshaft is also spinning. The splines may be worn. I have not have that happen so others, Sonny or BigBill may jump in.
An inspection will tell for sure wwhere the proble lies.

James Crews
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby James Crews » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks for the help
I guess I'll have to remove the shaft and see because when the engine is running the shaft turns and the clutch will barely
rock back & forth and makes a slight grinding sound until I press the clutch in half way. Could the clutch plate where the tabs that fit over the splines have worn down?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:57 pm

James Crews wrote:Could the clutch plate where the tabs that fit over the splines have worn down?

Seems unlikely, but certainly possible. Could also be the center of the clutch disk has ripped loose from the outer part of the disk.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:53 pm

It kinda sounds to me like either the clutch unit itself has blown apart inside or the splines on the shaft have stripped off , possibly also taking the splines off the clutch drive disk!---mine in my 185 are awful loose and its only a matter of time until they tear out the rest of the way.
With the engine off, reach in there and see what turns by hand with tractor in gear, then try it in neutral,--also rock the unit back and forth! ( this should give you an idea of how bad the damage is!)
To get in there to the clutch, for a quick check, just take the tunnel cover off and the clutch is right there in front of the trans.--(184 clutch is on the engine flywheel end.)----154 and 185 are on the back of the driveshaft.
To get better access to the clutch, you may want to take the fenders off too. (I took all the tin off the back of mine and left it off)---when you are done fixing it all you need to put back on is the tunnel cover and seat platform! dont run without the tunnel cover on because low hanging private parts could get wound up in the pto shaft or the clutch shaft,---they both run kinda close together in there! thanks ; sonny

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”