This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

seven dust

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Olred
10+ Years
10+ Years

seven dust

Postby Olred » Sun May 08, 2011 9:41 pm

so i noticed some holes in my butter bean and string bean leaves and i am thinking about throwing some seven dust on them(that is what i was told by my elders) anything i need to watch out for? i dont want to hurt myself or the plants
1949 Cub "The Anti-Christ"
1948 Cub "Trailer Queen"
1966 Cub "Ol Yeller"
1948 Cub "Rusty"
1953 Super A
1950 John Deere MT
1941 John Deere B
1944 John Deere B
1948 John Deere B
1942 Case VAI
1974 Ford 3000

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: seven dust

Postby DanR » Mon May 09, 2011 5:32 am

Read the label it's all there.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon May 09, 2011 7:29 am

Dust them early in the morning while the dew is on the plants. Do not dust when the wind is blowing. The bugs will eat them up if you dont do it soon. I use wetable seven and spray it on
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Mon May 09, 2011 7:52 am

Boss Hog is right about the wettable powder. However, do it late afternoon when the bees have returned to the hive but in time for the leaves to dry before night fall.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Olred- sounds like you have very little experience with pesticides. DanR is correct about the label. Good info if you read it..Remember very small doses kills bugs. Bigger doses kills bigger living things..yes..humans...Safety..wear rubber gloves,even when handling the bag you just opened. When pouring it in your hand sprayer, keep your nose upwind. Never mix in a building. Bare feet absorb very quickly.If you have young they may wonder thru you garage or where ever and get it on their feet. Rain will take it down into the soil.
When spraying, never spray ahead of you and walk where you just sprayed. Gets on your clothes, wife washes clothes...wife, clothes washer, and all the clothes in that load is now contaminated..You should run a complete wash cycle with no clothes after washing contaminated stuff. Am I trying to scare you..you betcha..for your safety..
Pesticides work very good and are safe..as long as you follow the label and do it safely..Personally I never worry about a few bug holes when the plants are young. They can eat almost 35% of all the leaves without loss. I'm talking about butterbeans not lettuce. The loss comes when the critters eat your crop! Mother nature has an amazing ability to keep bugs under control..I've seen where on week it is close to time to spray..few days later the bugs disappeared. Call them good ole boys at the county extension office and have them help you out. Great group of guys and gals..Greg Sorry I got on a soap box. Just concerned and don't want you to get sick.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”