This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Plowing with a New Tractor?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Plowing with a New Tractor?

Postby WKPoor » Tue May 24, 2005 7:20 pm

Guy here at work has relitively new New Holland Boomer( approx. 30some HP). He asked his dealer how many bottoms it can pull. The dealer told him none. Its wasn't rated to pull a plow because it didn't have draft control. Now go figure, I wasn't aware that draft control was a prerequisite to plowing :? . Are any of the compact tractors that any of you out there own state anywhere about their plowing ratings? Just curious. I'd be curious to know how a new compact stands up against the olds ones in that arena.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 24, 2005 7:44 pm

What is draft control????

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue May 24, 2005 7:56 pm

beaconlight wrote:What is draft control????

bill

It holds the depth/heighth of the implement.
Then came Bronson

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 24, 2005 8:22 pm

Does a cub have depth control. Looking at cub plows, the foot behind the plow share I would expect to set a max depth. The depth lever on the right would control that completely on the first furrow and prevent excessively deep on later passes.
The 3 point on my 1050 can either be set at a certain spot or let float. I realize plows with out releases are dangerous in that they can lift the front up and over if the encounter unmoveable objects. Does that have any thing to do with the turn over issue?

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue May 24, 2005 8:51 pm

I'm no historion or anything like that, but I think draft control was first used on the Ford Ferguson tractors. It was a feedback system used to limit the pull a plow could exert on the tractor by automatically lifting the plow under certain conditions. This would prevent rollover. Other manufactures incorporated it also as my Allis Chalmers CA has it. I've never heard of it on a Farmall though. In fact I've never seen a fully mounted IH plow before. Only pull type or semimounted. Anyway I thought is was of enterest what my bud said about his new compact. I was wondering if any of the compacts were rated to pull a plow or if since they are not considered a farm tractor there may be a liability issue there. Funny topic I haven't heard discussed before.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 24, 2005 9:01 pm

Thank You.
Now I understand. Now that you describe it I realize my 33 HP green has it. I never understood it but there is an adjustment like that. Makes good sense. I can see it being especially needed on more powerful tractors. Better you should ride the tractor, than the tractor ride you.
I only ask so many questions because I have so much to learn.

Thanks again.
Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ike » Thu May 26, 2005 9:07 am

I think there is still some confusion regarding draft control.

The way that I understand it:
Rollover is pretty much eliminated by any 3-point hitch unless the top link breaks.

Draft control does regulate the amount of pull on the tractor. Under heavy load the implement is raised slightly to reduce the amount of pull. When it raises, it also throws pressure onto the drive wheels which get more traction and the tractor keeps moving forward. When the amount of pull is reduced, the implement drops back to the original depth.

Draft control can be done manually, but it might keep you pretty busy with the 3-point control lever. :)

Ike

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu May 26, 2005 10:03 am

The Ford-Ferguson 3 pt hitch draft control was a revolutionary way to make a very light tractor perform well competing with heavier tractors. It was pretty much useful only for plowing. When Ford and Ferguson split, Ford came out with a vast improvement on the 8N... a 3 pt that could selectively use POSITION or DRAFT control, sadly lacking on the Ford-Fergusons. That lack has been addressed by an aftermarket kit for the 9N to add position control. I have the kit on one of my 9Ns... a great improvement.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Sun May 29, 2005 4:14 pm

I have one of the 8N's mfgd in '47 and it has draft control and it is a help when working in the big garden (well only 4 acres) and I can tell the difference when I plow the small garden with one of the cubs. Draft control is a good thing.
Have a very safe and joyful Memorial Day.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Mon May 30, 2005 7:25 pm

George Said,

That lack has been addressed by an aftermarket kit for the 9N to add position control. I have the kit on one of my 9Ns... a great improvement.

George,

Is that the “Zane Thang”. Can you make one or do you think it’s better to buy one?

If you have time, could you take a picture of it and e-mail it to me?

Thanks,
Jack Fowler

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon May 30, 2005 9:10 pm

Jack Fowler wrote:George Said,

That lack has been addressed by an aftermarket kit for the 9N to add position control. I have the kit on one of my 9Ns... a great improvement.

George,

Is that the “Zane Thang”. Can you make one or do you think it’s better to buy one?

If you have time, could you take a picture of it and e-mail it to me?

Thanks,
Jack Fowler

Jack,

The Ford guys have a gentleman's agreement to protect Zane Sherman's invention by not taking pictures of it so it can be copied. Actually, it would be hard to make one of the same quality as Zane's work for the reasonable price he charges... $80. I'm very pleased with mine. I've had it for a couple years and it makes a different tractor out of the 9N. The hydraulics hold rock solid wherever it's set for.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Mon May 30, 2005 9:37 pm

Not a problem. Don't have any dog in that fight at all. Plus my photo taking is bad at best and I would not have any idea what to take it of, perhaps that little tiny lever?
Have a safe and joyful Memorial Day. After 30 years of retirement, I found that my old uniform that I wore for all those years still does not fit.
capt jack
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Mon May 30, 2005 9:40 pm

Oops wrong jack, what the heck. Still have a nice Memorial Day and be sure to visit the web site: http://www.oldbluejacket.com and in particular see the flash 'All my heros have been cowboys'.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 30, 2005 9:44 pm

Very nice.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:13 pm

Thanks George for your time,

I understand about the picture taking. If you say it’s worth it, it’s worth it. I really don’t get on the Ford site much I usually “hang out” here. I guess the ”Zang Thang” will be my next present to myself.

Jack Fowler

Return to “Off Topic”