This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Other hobby..

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Other hobby..

Postby sdurnal » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:57 am

There was some discussion in another part of this forum about watching out for fingers around rotating fan blades. So, I thought this was the best place to show the blades associated with my other hobby. This is an 18" prop that occasionally reaches 15,000 rpm. We do start them by hand, but prefer electric starters on a thumper this big. It's a four stroke over head valve engine about 2.5 hp burning alcohol, nitro, and castor. The plane itself is a 1/4 scale Super Decathlon with an 89" wingspan. The bears in the cockpit were flown around the world in an effort to cheer a very ill member of a forum much like this one.
Unfortunately they were lost in Australia. There are occasional prop bites, so you learn to follow a strict safety code.
Attachments
DSCN0125.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Re: Other hobby..

Postby grumpy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Nice. I've always enjoyed watching the model folks displaying their skills. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:11 pm

Prop bites?? That looks like it could take your hand off at the wrist if your not careful.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Mon May 16, 2011 11:46 am

I respect the prop, for sure...It can barely be seen when running. Painting the tips white helps..
Regards,
Stan

P.S. I don't know why I just saw the response, Mike!

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 pm

my dad made a hand wind up starter for these but he never patented it. You wound it up and put it into two slots on the nose cone and pulled the trigger it would rotate the engine and start it and the two drivers would leave the slots as the prop spun. We used it on all the bigger engines at the time.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Projects Forum”