This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Identifying OEM of an old disc

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62278

Identifying OEM of an old disc

Postby Eikel » Sun May 15, 2011 12:05 pm

I recently picked up this old disc at an auction; it's in relatively good shape except the bearings are shot. Does anyone have an idea on the manufacturer or any other information?
Eikel

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Identifying OEM of an old disc

Postby Rudi » Sun May 15, 2011 9:58 pm

Many of these old disk harrows either horse or tractor drawn were very similar to each other with few real standout identification marks. Obvious trademarks to look for are the IHC, M-H, M-M etc... Parts/casting numbers may be of help.

This one looks very similar to my old 6 foot out-throw disc harrow... and it appears to be a horse drawn unit as well judging by the hitch.

Unfortunately I don't have any manuals scanned for these types of implements. I do have one, it isn't scanned yet.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eikel » Mon May 16, 2011 7:42 am

Thanks Rudi. It doesn't have any distinguishing marks or casting except for the bearing cases which have part numbers beginning with “KK.” Discovering the OEM would be one of those "nice to Knows," either way it's in decent condition so I'll look at reconditioning the bearings (hopefully they"re wood) and freeing up the stuck controls. A bit more life for some old iron.

Eikel

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon May 16, 2011 7:54 am

A bit of time in the e-tank and then a repaint would make harrow that a thing of beauty :idea: :D

Be nice to know what colours to paint it.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 16, 2011 8:52 am

I cannot help with the manufacturer, but do agree that it is a horse drawn disk. I see a bracket for a flat spring/bracket for the seat as well as foot rests on it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 16, 2011 10:35 am

KK is a John Deere part number prefix.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon May 16, 2011 11:25 am

Now that is an interesting tidbit BD! Must remember that. We should have a list on the server that identifies parts prefixes/other identifiers for different manufacturers .. might be useful.

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eikel » Mon May 16, 2011 1:29 pm

A visit to the JD dealership with part numbers and picture maybe in order. The identification of the seat bracket begs a second question. The levers on either side of the bracket move the scrapers across the discs; what does the lever directly in front of the seat bracket control, it's froze up tight. (The levers on either side of the center lever control the angle of the disc)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Follow the linkage from the lever and you should be able to determine what it does.
John Deere either partnered with or (usually) bought out a lot of smaller manufacturers for components or complete implements. KK probably relates to Killefer Mfg. which made implements. They were bought out by JD about the turn of the century. They made tillage equipment.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon May 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Just a thought. I would disassemble one side and see what type and size the bearings are. Determine what will fit/work. Then some research.

AgriSupply.com has a selection of bearing spools (bearings) and bearing halves (retainers). There are also other bearing suppliers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eikel » Mon May 16, 2011 11:05 pm

I did run across Killefer in some of my research but didn't find a whole lot of info on them, more searching to be done. I'm thinking the bearings wear surfaces aren't cast but most likely that's deteriorated over time, overall the disc doesn't seem like it's had hard use but has sat out in the weather. I've never made a set of wooden bearing but there's a first time for everything. Hopefully I'll get the time to tear into it in the near future, I'll let you know what I find.
Thanks for all the help and insight.

Eikel

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Tue May 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Eikel you said:
I've never made a set of wooden bearing but there's a first time for everything.

My grandfather did at a local Woolen Mill powered by a mill race creek and water turbine, that had a line shaft running through the entire building. He made it out of one of the harderst woods known to man. Lignum Vitae.
That was about 1942. Still there. It is considered a self lubricating wood. It sinks when placed in water and is even denser than iron wood from the Arizona desert

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignum_vitae

http://www.woodfinder.com/search.php?se ... um%20Vitae
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Thu May 26, 2011 7:33 am

While I am no expert. All the disk I have seen the handles set the angle of the disk. The more angle on them the harder the bite into the ground.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Eikel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Eikel » Mon May 30, 2011 6:36 pm

The levers with handles on either side do adjust the angle of the disc and the levers on either side of the seat bracket operate scrapers to clean the disc.

Pete-Maine
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21044

Postby Pete-Maine » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:22 am

My reply may not matter now, some 6 years later, but this disc harrow was not made for a Cub. It could be as old as the late 1800s and was designed to be horse-drawn. I have a look-alike that I use with my Cub. It had a wooden tongue (draw shaft) that rotted away--looks like that happened to yours, too. It was bought from a retired farmer who had only horse-drawn equipment which he said dated from about 1890 to 1920. In most cases with this old accessory equipment, it's difficult or impossible to identify the OEM because there are no brand markings, and at best just casting numbers for individual cast-iron parts. Almost all of the disc harrows are mainly made of steel, not cast iron, making them especially hard to identify.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”