This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

weed control in garden question

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

weed control in garden question

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Thu May 26, 2005 10:01 pm

I will not have much time to keep the weeds down between rows like I did in past years with the rear tine tiller.

Would a layer of straw work?

Will the straw help in any way the organic material/nutrient level in the soil?

Any other suggestions?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 26, 2005 10:12 pm

Yes , Yes but expect a partial crop of oats or wheat. Mo matter low much try not to there is always a little seed left.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu May 26, 2005 10:28 pm

I'm 42yrs old and I just figured out the weed control thing myself. You see these picture perfect gardens ,no weeds at all. well the trick is attack them before they germinate. Don't wait till they come up. In only a few days they are out of control. By keeping the soil tilled by hand or whatever around your plants its lets the top layer of soil dry out thus slowing down weed seed germination. My neibor confirmed that by going out and cutivating often in the bare soil weed growth can be kept under control. IN the past I've always tried to deal with them after I see them. Thats a backwards approach. Deal with them when you don't seem them and its a whole lot easier.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu May 26, 2005 11:43 pm

Adding organic mulch is always good for the soil.

When the garden was small, my father used old grocery bags between the rows. Not the plastic kind, but the brown kraft paper variety. Kept the weeds out and moisture in. As the garden grew bigger - about 1 acre - we used straw, grass clippings and moldy hay. Some weeds are nearly impossible to control without herbicides, bindweed comes to mind, but mulching keeps most of the others down.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri May 27, 2005 10:37 am

I started using 2,4-D Amine broadleaf water based herbicide on my troubled spots. Less work now. Tried to go as organic as possible, but you know how that goes....... lots of work! :?
Last edited by Ron L on Fri May 27, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Fri May 27, 2005 4:17 pm

We farm a bunch of land and use a pre and post herbicide. My wife uses the black weed control stuff and puts a hole and plants right there and never has any weeds. Easy to do with a small plot and she has great sucess. Good luck (ps the weeds only look bad)
capt jack
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

weed control in garden

Postby Little Indy » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:33 pm

I think of weeds as plant food for the plants I wish to grow. I pull them and let them lie in the rows as mulch. I also collect all my grass clippings as mulch for the garden. As I have five acres that is a lot of grass. I sure am glad Little Indy and Big Red love to mow. :D
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:14 pm

We've been mulching everything with straw for 3 years now, and in that time we have seen a difference in the soil profile of our garden. The straw does a decent job of keeping the weeds at bay. But the real benefit is in the addition of organic material to our heavy clay. We plow the straw under in the fall, and come spring there is almost NO sign of it. It breaks down very quickly. We then plow and disk in the spring, and have never had a problem with an undesirable crop of oats or rye or whatever.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”