This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

air compressor output coupling

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

air compressor output coupling

Postby TJG » Mon May 30, 2011 5:42 pm

I picked up a used air compressor and the output threads from the regulator are loose and there is a small crack, so air leaks. Regulator is plastic and the fitting thread is brass. I looked at Loctite 242 blue, but it instructs not to use with plastic. Any ideas as to a thread sealant for this situation? I'd like to try to fix the small air leak rather than buy a new regulator. Thanks,

Todd

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: air compressor output coupling

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon May 30, 2011 6:41 pm

I have used PVC cement (glue) on threaded fittings as a sealer on water applications. Don't know how it would work with air. The downside is if you use a threaded plastic fitting then you might not be able to get it back out later. A metal fitting screwed into the plastic with some type sealer might work. LOCKTITE make one for gasoline available at auto parts stores. Just my 2 cents. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

b52c130
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07869

Postby b52c130 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 am

Stan,
First, I would clean out the female plastic threads of any 'junk' that might be in them. Then I would try to put some type of stainless worm gear hose clamp around the cracked threaded area to help keep the crack from expanding as the brass male thread is screwed into it. I would use a liberal coating of 'Permatex' non-hardening sealant (#2 I think?) on the male threads. Do NOT apply too much pressure when screwing the metal fitting into the plastic (that is why you want to use quite a lot of Permatex to do the sealing). The plastic female threads probably broke in the first place because of over torquing. Rely on the 'goo' to do the sealing.
NJDale

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Also teflon thread tape woks quite well,---some guys frown on the stuff, but it does work and not a lot of over tightning required either! thanks; sonny

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”