This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

braiding machine video

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jwl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52738

braiding machine video

Postby jwl » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:55 pm

My son came over and made a little vid of my New England Butt braiding machines this weekend. Its a little dark but you can kind of see the action and hear the roar. I know there not tractors but sometimes you need other things to play with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ8yTx1uzdw

Jeff

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Josh Blair
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38474
Tractors Owned: 1950 F-cub
1951 F-cub
1967 Massey Ferguson 150
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: braiding machine video

Postby Josh Blair » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:59 pm

jwl wrote:My son came over and made a little vid of my New England Butt braiding machines this weekend. Its a little dark but you can kind of see the action and hear the roar. I know there not tractors but sometimes you need other things to play with.

Jeff

stick everything after v= in the url in the youtube tabs
Josh Blair in Mt.Pleasant TN
Image Image

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:56 am

Jeff - that was neat!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:17 pm

Very cool.... I had to look it up, turns out the company is from RI.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Butt_Company

Rhode Island is pretty interesting, really the home of the industrial revolution. Good water power and access to transport were key. Fabric, machine tools and machinery were very big here until about 50 years ago.

I am still curious about what kind of braiding... is it for wiring covers?

Thanks for sharing it!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

jwl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52738

Postby jwl » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Well one machine is a 17 carrier and makes a flat braid thats kind of like lace. havent really figured out what the use was but it would make a nice flat shoelace, like the ones yrs back on dress shoes. The other one is a 16 carrier round machine. You can do a lot with it. Other than make a round shoelace, it makes a hollow braid, that i can put a sparkplug wire into and braid around the wire. Im sure you all have seen these old cloth covered wires on engines and auto harnasses. One can also take cloth piping(its a sewing thing) and cover it. This finished part is often found on pillows and cushion on the couch. More modern setups of the machine take fine wire and wrap around hoses. They can also be used to make rope. Braiding and twisting are the only two ways to make a rope. I also have a 1911 New Era rope maker and go to farm shows and fairs with both the setups to show folks how stuff was done a hundred yrs back. The braiding machine has been around since about 1894, rope makers before that. It all give me something to do in the winter at home and at the shows, when im not playing with my small tractors and attachments.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:52 am

Now I get it! Pretty cool that something invented more than a century ago is still in use... and producing.

I was excited to find made in RI shoelaces (in Maine) when I was looking for made in USA socks for Boss Hog. He had said you can't find any made in USA socks, so I sent him some. BTW, flat shoelaces stay tied and are almost impossible to find anymore!

A while back I visited a pretty interesting place that makes reproduction wiring harnesses and they also make braided wires. I didn't notice the machine that does it, but bet is is similar or the same as yours. It was sad to hear that they were loosing sources of the 'string' they were using.

http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/wire.htm
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

RobCraig
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65779

Postby RobCraig » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 pm

I would like to purchase one of these braiding machines.....would you know who might have one for sale?.
Thanks
Rob

jwl wrote:My son came over and made a little vid of my New England Butt braiding machines this weekend. Its a little dark but you can kind of see the action and hear the roar. I know there not tractors but sometimes you need other things to play with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ8yTx1uzdw

Jeff

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:20 pm

Those bobbins looked to me like a bunch of square dancers on speed. :D Very interesting video, thanks for posting it.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

akamm14
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46310

Postby akamm14 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:51 pm

I have a flat and round braider from the late 1890's. I make braid in school and tractor colors. I use shrink tube on the ends for those that want shoe laces. Used to go to tractor/engine shows every weekend. Other uses include fishing line, braid for military uniforms, lamp cord, welt, decorative lace to sew on clothing items, space craft cables, and many other things. Braiding machines were imported from England prior to 1850 when they started making them in the US. I also have one with 1883 cast into the upright iron. The new maypole braiders from Wardwell who bought out NEB are almost identical except for the OSHA guards. These braiders have not changed much since 1950. They go for years and parts are still available. Had to add my .02 cents.

Grapefarmeral
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15559

Postby Grapefarmeral » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:57 pm

I have a New England Braiding machine, but can't seem to find any information as to the input speed. Any suggestions out there?

akamm14
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 46310

Postby akamm14 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:12 pm

According to Catalog 56, the normal speed of the pulley is 144rpm for a No. 1 braider and 180 rpm for a No. 2 braider. With the newer carriers this can be increased by 10 to 25 percent.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”