This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dell computers

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Dell computers

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:12 am

Just bought a new computer. I am fairly computer savvy, even used to write a few programs 25 or so years ago, but this one has a software problem in windows 7, and Dell does not now cover the software in the computers they sell. to get warranty coverage on their the software in Dell computers you have to pay $239.00 per year which entitles you to 4 calls per year.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Dell computers

Postby grumpy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:52 am

Thats a lot of bull crap. Do they have a return policy?? Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:54 am

That information is well worth knowing. Thank you. I'm getting ready to replace my Compaq that is well over 5 years old.

Scratched Dell off my list of possible purchases. I have previously owned Dell computers.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:43 pm

John, can you elaborate on the nature of your software issues, please. This is very interesting.

** EDIT **

I decided to do an electronic chat with a Dell rep. to see what they said. See a part of that chat below:

13:39:04 Shiela M
Shiela M pushes page, http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segt ... dhs&~tab=2
13:39:23 Shiela M
Limited hardware coverage includes, but is not limited to, motherboards, hard drives, LCD displays, memory, optical drives, graphics cards, processors, keyboards, touch pads, power supplies and fan assemblies.
13:41:15 Roy
So I am at the mercy of Microsoft if I have an issue with the OS?
13:41:41 Roy
If this is the case, I'm not sure I like the color of the picture you are painting for me.
13:42:38 Shiela M
let me also clarify that for you
13:43:09 Shiela M
Since the OS is a default software or part of the system, that is covered with the service plan.

If she knows what she is talking about, it sounds like the OS (Windows 7) should be covered, even under the basic plan. But that might not include a "full replacement of the OS", she was not really clear on that part. Beginning to sound like "Let me sell you this system really cheap. But if you have an issue, I am here to sell you some more coverage to fix it"

:oops:

John, please keep us posted on how this works out. I have no connection with Dell, but I am very interested in what we learn about this warranty issue.

Roy
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:01 pm

The local dealer I bought it from is now working on the problem and told me that if He cannot solve it he will refund my money. The problem I have is that one of the printers I installed does not show in the Devices and Printers window. It shows in the print dialog and works, but not in the
devices and Printer Window, which means I cannot make it the default, cannot change default settings, or delete it. HP (printer manufacturer) spent 2+ hours accessing my pc, and finally told me it is a Windows problem, which was my belief in the first place. Microsoft does not support software installed by manufacturers unless you pay them for it. They tell you to call the PC manufacturer. Dell flat out told me that they no longer support software, even if under warranty unless I pay for the extra coverage at $230 per year, which lets me call them 4 times in a year. I asked him twice to make sure I understood him, them gave him an earful.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Roy, your link is to service plans that you pay for in addition to the warranty. They try to avoid saying that, but that is what they are.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Once I get hold of a problem I do not let go easily, which I guess is why my customers liked having me service their equipment. I have been doing some research on line, and have found that HP, which is also Compaq now, provide one years on the software, as well as parts, as does Apple. Dell and Sony both provide one year on hardware, but no warranty on the Windows software.

aftermac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48174
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (iCub)

Postby aftermac » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Dell has not covered O/S related problems for years. I was a Windows system administrator from 1999-2008 (I still work in IT, just not in an admin role) and dealt with Dell for many problems over the years. They were great for any hardware issue, but if your computer so much as blue-screened you had to go out of your way to prove that it was a hardware problem, or they wouldn't even talk to you.

For my own personal use I have always preferred Apple since the OS and hardware all come from the same company. Everything on the system is designed to work together, not a bunch of random parts from dozens of manufacturers slapped together... and only one company to deal with when something goes wrong. I've been a Mac user since 1993, and I've had very few issues over the years.
Jason

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Mr E » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:09 pm

Since the OS is a default software or part of the system, that is covered with the service plan.

John,
If I were you, I'd try to get some mileage out of this statement. I'm a bit surprised that the HP guys were unable to remove all traces of the printer and re-install it.

Best of luck. Keep us posted on the outcome.

re

** Edit **
Just for curiosity, which HP printer is giving you the problem?

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:01 pm

DOT Matrix??

aftermac
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby aftermac » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:02 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:The local dealer I bought it from is now working on the problem and told me that if He cannot solve it he will refund my money. The problem I have is that one of the printers I installed does not show in the Devices and Printers window. It shows in the print dialog and works, but not in the
devices and Printer Window, which means I cannot make it the default, cannot change default settings, or delete it. HP (printer manufacturer) spent 2+ hours accessing my pc, and finally told me it is a Windows problem, which was my belief in the first place. Microsoft does not support software installed by manufacturers unless you pay them for it. They tell you to call the PC manufacturer. Dell flat out told me that they no longer support software, even if under warranty unless I pay for the extra coverage at $230 per year, which lets me call them 4 times in a year. I asked him twice to make sure I understood him, them gave him an earful.

This is beside the point, but in the print dialog box are the printers showing as icons? If so, you should be able to right-click them and set the default printer, and change the options. I don't recall off the top of my head how Windows 7 displays the print dialog box, and some programs display this differently anyway.
Jason

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Mr E » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:09 pm

John,
Been Googling this a bit. Here is an interesting post. MIght be worth a try. Found several that pointed to this same fix.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/5869874b-97ac-493a-afdd-0e3dd7d71bda

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Roy, the HP guys did remove all traces, and then reinstalled the printer. It showed normal, but went away when I restarted the computer. That link might be something to look into, but my pc is not here right now, guy I bought it form is looking into it. Plus my problem is selective, not everything, I do have some printers that are showing.

Jason, I see the printer in the print dialog box, but not as an icon, just a line. i can click on it and change the settings, but only for that job, I cannot make settings the default, nor can I make that the default printer..

Dale, it is a Laser with duplex (2 sided print) attachment Laserjet 4050

aftermac
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby aftermac » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:58 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Jason, I see the printer in the print dialog box, but not as an icon, just a line. i can click on it and change the settings, but only for that job, I cannot make settings the default, nor can I make that the default printer..

John, when you get your computer back, try going into a program like Wordpad and you *should* get a dialog box like this (a screenshot from Microsoft's web page of Wordpad's print dialog box):

Some programs like Firefox use a custom dialog box that may only show the printer in a drop box. I've tested right-clicking on these icons in XP, but I don't have a 7 machine available at home to test. I can verify this at work today.

Also, I wonder what would happen if you manually tried to "Add Printer"? Manually selecting which port you want it to print to and manually selecting the print driver (if Windows doesn't show the correct driver, you can hit the Windows Update button and it will download all missing print drivers). Is it a network printer or USB?
Jason

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:23 am

I had a similar situation with this Dell and Vista about 3 years ago. Neither company would even address the problems. The Dell support group not so nicely told me to buzz off. When I ordered the computer Dell would not give me an option of OS's. I should have seen the writing on the wall then. I'm going to send Steve Jobs a birthday card.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”