This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

wooden clock: NOT WORKING

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Lildog Jr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45601
Skype Name: mikey.ratliff

wooden clock: NOT WORKING

Postby Lildog Jr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:49 pm

I have an old-ish clock that i got from a yard sale and doesn't work at all, chimes every 30 mins and pendulum makes the clock go (not a grandfather clock) and i want it to work. anyone know how to fix it?
To me, there's nothing better than dogs and Cubs.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: wooden clock: NOT WORKING

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:53 pm

Back in the middle ages I took a course in watch making and another course in manual typewriter repair. Also courses in a whole bunch of other stuff no longer commonly utilized.

Have Dad or GrandPa help you. Not seeing the clock, so I'm giving you no specific order. You need to remove the works from the case.

Frequently the only problem is that all of the axles and pivots are gummed up.

Get some light weight machine oil. There use to be watch makers oil but you probable won't find it. So pick up some 3 in 1 machine oil or light sewing machine oil. Put some oil in a thimble or very small container. Sewing needle - dip the tip of the needle in the oil picking up a small drop. Put a drop of oil on each axle pivot/bearing - only one drop per bearing.

If oiling doesn't solve problem - you will need to take the clock to a watch maker. Watch makers are hard to find and it's probably cost more money than you want to spend.

Edit: You do not need to take the works apart, just out of the case.

If the clock doesn't work after oiling - you can purchase a battery powered clock works and install in the case.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Another edit: Lildogjr.

Did you get the key with the clock? If not perhaps you can find or have Dad or Grandpa make one.

Oil the pivots first. Then wind the spring. Caution is not to over wind the spring. Sometimes the spring mechanism gets locked up from being over wound/tightened.

Once oiled and with the spring wound a bit you should be able to start the pedulem movement moving without the pendulem.

Since this clock has chimes there may be two sets of springs involved. One for the time and the other for the chimes.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lildog Jr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lildog Jr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:12 pm

remove this
Last edited by Lildog Jr on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lildog Jr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lildog Jr » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:14 pm

Eugene wrote:Another edit: Lildogjr.

Did you get the key with the clock? If not perhaps you can find or have Dad or Grandpa make one.

Oil the pivots first. Then wind the spring. Caution is not to over wind the spring. Sometimes the spring mechanism gets locked up from being over wound/tightened.

Once oiled and with the spring wound a bit you should be able to start the pedulem movement moving without the pendulem.

Since this clock has chimes there may be two sets of springs involved. One for the time and the other for the chimes.
it doesn't have a key hole apparently. :?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:43 pm

Considering that there were hundreds or thousands of clock manufacturers and models going back 6 or 7 hundred years.

Have some one help you open up the back of the clock. The clock could very well be either battery operated or house hold electric power.

In any event. Have some fun with it. Even if you never get the original works to function you will learn something.

I have something for you to say next time Mom gets on your case.
Mom. It wasn't a mistake, it was a learing experience.
Works for me every time my 87 year old mother dresses me down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Guys on the chat room were talking to Lildog jr. about his clock. As of last night Lildog needed to obtain a D cell battery to see if the clock worked.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lildog Jr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lildog Jr » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Eugene wrote:Guys on the chat room were talking to Lildog jr. about his clock. As of last night Lildog needed to obtain a D cell battery to see if the clock worked.
i'm pretty sure we don't have a flash light that i could use...

Lildog Jr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lildog Jr » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:12 pm

Eugene wrote:Guys on the chat room were talking to Lildog jr. about his clock. As of last night Lildog needed to obtain a D cell battery to see if the clock worked.

that sounds like what a video game would say

Lildog Jr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lildog Jr » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:00 am

the problem is that the pendulum switch will not click to make the clock tell time and the pendulum will swing for about a Minute. we know it requires a new works for it. any places you know that has works with two bar shaped bells and requires the pendulum to make it work the clock? :big give up:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:39 am

Mikey:

We need the name of who made the clock and the model #. You should be able to find this either on the back or inside the clock case/back. Give us that and we can find what type of works you have and where to get it. There are many places to get the movements - mostly because clock making is something a lot of hobby woodworkers get into. Without the model # and manufacturer we are just shooting in the dark -- guessing.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:09 pm

http://www.klockit.com/cat_quick_ord.aspx

Read through the catalog. You will find descriptions of each movement, it's dimensions and price.

Call around to hobby related stores. Some carry clock movements.

If Dad or Grandpa do some sort of wood working. You can buy one of the inexpensive movements and make a very neat clock from a piece or two of scrap wood.

In a previous life I taught school shop. One of the projects for middle school students was to design and build a clock. The basic design was two boards fastened into an "L" with a clock works sized hole cut/drilled in one board.

Edit: Without seeing the clock - the pendulum movement may or may not be independent of the actual time keeping function.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lildog Jr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Lildog Jr » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:42 pm

Sorry but I can't give the #, but i can give the name and the movement: Harris & Mallow Products, Rhythm battery Strike Movement.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Web search for Harris & Mallow Products. One of the first posts to pop up suggests replacing the movement and provided company names:

Klockkit.com. Ask for their free catalog.
Clockworks.com. Has a lot of on line help identifying the movement.

My thought is to do a web search for the hobby stores near you. Then a phone call to see if they handle clock movements.

Since we are talking clocks. I use to teach shop and we made bases or frames for clocks. The clock works only cost the school around $3.00 each. But, I had to order a gross (144 each) to get that price. If you like wood working you can purchase an inexpensive movement and have dad or grandpa help you build a stand or frame for it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Projects Forum”