This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1A-22 IH Side Mount Sickle Bar Mower

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BohemianJon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49127
Tractors Owned: Farmall 130

1A-22 IH Side Mount Sickle Bar Mower

Postby BohemianJon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:14 am

I want to remove the Power Take Off Shield from the mower for repairs. I have to remove the PTO Drive Pulley (no problem) and the Flywheel Shaft Pulley (problem). So, how do I remove the Flywheel Shaft Pulley from the Flywheel Shaft?
Many thanks for everyones help and guidance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BohemianJon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: 1A-22 IH Side Mount Sickle Bar Mower

Postby BohemianJon » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:25 am

HELP!!!...Sure would appreciate some help and guidance with this...PLEASE...THANK YOU!!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 am

Jon:

Wish I could help but the only thing I have is the International 22, Cub-22, and L-22 Mowers.

I wonder if it is similar to the Cub-22 mower? I think the pulley is taken off by taking the two bolts already holding the pulley on and then threading them into the other two holes and tightening them up. That takes the pulley off. At least that is if I remember the procedure correctuly.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:39 am

Jon, that pulley should have a left hand thread on it. Once the bolt is removed it should come off with a pulley puller.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:21 am

Evidently none of us have actually worked on one of them, so everyone is giving educated guesses. From the looks of the drawing in the parts catalog, my guess is that it is held by a roll pin on the front side of the pulley. You're just going to have to look it over until you find the answer.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:22 pm

The bolt and pulley are one piece, left hand threads and you may need a impact wrench to remove it. They're usually pretty tight.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Yogie wrote:The bolt and pulley are one piece, left hand threads and you may need a impact wrench to remove it. They're usually pretty tight.

You actually worked on the mower for a Super A? I don't believe they are the same as a Cub mower.

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Yogie wrote:The bolt and pulley are one piece, left hand threads and you may need a impact wrench to remove it. They're usually pretty tight.

You actually worked on the mower for a Super A? I don't believe they are the same as a Cub mower.

Sorry Jim and others, I've over looked it being for a SA.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby JoeB » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:18 pm

This is pulley on my mower. The roll pin (mine has a cotter pin) is not the only thing holding it on. It may be pressed on.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:10 pm

From JoeB's first picture, it looks like there is a key in there too. That shouldn't change the removal. You need to remove the roll pin or cotter pin. Then pull/press the pulley off.

BohemianJon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BohemianJon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:22 am

My pulley is the same as the picture posted by JoeB (Thanks Joe). On the side of the pulley facing the rear it has the same small quarter inch metal piece between the pulley and the flywheel bar that I think Jim Becker (Thanks Jim) is referring to as a "roll pin". How do I remove this pin? Is it driven in or screwed in?
On the inside part of the pulley that fits over the flywheel bar as shown in JoeB's other picture...there isn't any cotter pin or bolt on the back side...unless it was broken off and worn down years ago and the location is no longer easy to see.
So after the small quarter inch pin is removed...can the pulley can be pulled off? I have a history of breaking parts like this and want to be as careful with this as I can. Any suggestions are appreciated very much.
By the way, I have some pictures of this as well...BUT...just cannot figure out how to post them here. I do e-mail them but just can't seem to find the right way to include them here at this site and need some help with this as well.
Thanks again...and hope everyone had a nice Dads Day!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:46 am

The roll pin, called out in the parts catalog, goes in the same place the cotter pin is in JoeB's second picture. If there is no pin in the hole, you should be able to find the empty hole. The hole should be 3/16 diameter. Roll pins are hollow, so if you find a smaller hole, the pin is probably still in place. You have to drive it out with a hammer and punch.

The other key is probably a straight key and you should be able to pull the pulley off with the key still in place. HOWEVER, the parts catalog calls out one straight key and one tapered key. I think the tapered key is in the flywheel end. A tapered key normally has a lug or hook on the end for puling it out. If the key in your pulley is like that, pry it out. A straight key has no hook to pull on.

After you remove the roll/cotter pin, you should be able to pull the pulley off the shaft. If it doesn't come off easily, you probably want to use a bearing splitter to keep from breaking the pulley. Check some of the threads on front crankshaft pulley removal for details.

BohemianJon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BohemianJon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Hey Jim...Thanks for the great instructions! Rudi sent me a message and offered to post my pictures and I sent these before I received your posting...so these will probably be coming soon. They're very similar to those JoeB posted except his show the cotter pin. I'll again look for that cotter or roll pin on the inside mounting hosing of the pulley. I think I found a small worn off circle that might be the pin. Should I heat the pulley and shaft before trying to pull the pulley? Sure appreciate everything everybody has offered. Thanks everybody!

edit: for insertion of pics

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Jon:

I figured I would put them in your last post. That way you can go in and edit the post and see what was done.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

JoeB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby JoeB » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:30 pm

I would use a bearing splitter behind the pulley (near the shims) with a two jaw puller. You might want to take a center punch and drill and make an indention for the puller to rest in on the shaft. If it doesn't seem like it is moving, I would heat the pulley on the backside evenly, no need to heat the shaft. Just take your time and be patient with it, finding a replacement would be very difficult.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”