This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new riding mower opinions

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"
Circle of Safety: Y

new riding mower opinions

Postby phildidit » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:22 pm

i am looking for a new riding mower to cut close to my house. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or and experiences with new riding mowers. i was looking at ariens, cub cadets, husquvarna. i think i prefer the kohler engine but i just thought i'd see what yall had to say about it. thanks for any responses

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: new riding mower opinions

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Just my observation in the neighborhood. Seven new Cub Cadets within the last 2/3 years, five of the seven have been back to the dealer for warranty work. One had the engine replaced with less than 50 hours on the clock.

My '79 model CC 1450, bought used in '89, has run faithfully the last 22 years. I'm going to refresh the engine this winter and it should be good for another 32 years. MTD sure doesn't make them like International used to.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:46 pm

i thou the new cc were made by MTD, the guy had home depot had no idea. if i could find me a good used CC from when they were made by international i would get one of those. i just dont want to buy junk or have something that i need to work on everytime i cut grass. my cub is good for the meadow, i was looking for something smaller for my wife to use close to the house. we had a 90's model bolens that became a money pit and i dont want that again

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:35 pm

the best cut next to the house is a weedwhip. The John Deere's are good mowers. I've never operated one, but a lot of folks including the commercial lawn services like the zero-turns with handles rather than a rider with a steering wheel.
Todd

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:35 pm

The current cub Cadets are made my MTD, so you may as well save money and buy an MTD, just different hood. They are not cheap, but have you looked into Simplicity or Ferris, either in a tractor type or ZTR, they are pretty good rigs.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Daniel Barbee
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74039
Tractors Owned: :
1952 Farmall Cub
1952 Farmall Cub
1956 Farmall 200
2002 New Holland TC30

Postby Daniel Barbee » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:40 pm

After a lot of research and reading reviews, we recently replaced our Craftsman riding mower with a John Deere 42" zero turn mower. (I can't tell you how much it pained me to buy a green & yellow lawn mower :D) "After a month of mowing with it I can already say I will never be able to go back to a regular riding mower!

Although I really wanted the twin cylinder Kohler, I opted for the single cylinder Briggs & Stratton because I needed a 42" deck to fit through my backyard fence without going all the way around. It would be nice if the vibration was a little less but it's acceptable. I've never mowed with the twin cylinder so I can't compare.

The Craftsman mower it replaced saw 10 years of hard use and was holding up good but the hydrostatic transmission started slipping after mowing for a couple of hours. The Craftsman I had before that also held up for 10 years before the deck was so eat up I couldn't patch it up anymore. In fairness though, the property I had then was very sandy.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:55 am

A few years ago (actually about 8 years ago) I replaced my 22 + year-old cub cadet with a JD LX 277 with a twin cylinder Kawasaki engine. It has been flawless since I bought it. Routine maintenance and blade changes are all it has needed.
The cheaper box store models are built a lot lighter than mine and even though mine is a "lawn" tractor not a "garden" tractor like the 300 series and 400 series tractors there is a significant difference between the 100 series and 200 series tractors.
I bought mine for mowing only and it has done the job well.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:14 am

Phil,
I know you aren't looking for anything this big, but I bought a 52" Scag before I got the cub fever. I has a 25 HP Kohler engine on it. All I can say for it, is that it loves to cut grass. Rides a bit rough, but is a grass cutting booger. :lol: No problems at all with the Kohler engine (air cooled).

Roy
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Phil:

I like BD bought my new lawn mower a JD L111 (a hundred series mower) from a John Deere dealer and it has a 20 hp B&S twin. It is much more robust than the similar models available at the big box stores. It is also much heavier. Not sure why but our new JD Dealer is aware of the difference. Wasn't cheap but it is a darn good mower. I am pleased with it. In 5 years I have almost 415 hours on it :shock: and it runs like a champ. The only problems that I have is with the powder coat finish. Not a biggie though. Good on fuel as well and with regular seasonal maintenance I am sure this one will last for many years unlike the MTD built varieties.

If you decide not to buy new then any of the original IHCC models would be excellent choices. Even though my 129 isn't operational yet I have had a chance to look it over and it is in amazing shape for a 40 year old machine.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”