This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need advice on purchase of Farmall A

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FKreider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01566

Need advice on purchase of Farmall A

Postby FKreider » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Hello. Not sure if this is the right section for this kind of thing but here we go. First of all I am new here so hello to everyone, my name is Frank.

I am looking to buy a Farmall as a project tractor. I live in Massachusetts and my excuse to get a tractor is plowing my driveway. :mrgreen: Im sure most people on here understand the economy and buying a tractor is far from the top of the list. So I am looking for one that needs work, which is no issue for me I am used to working on old equipment, and trucks. (I own an old jeep, and a 67 IH Scout)

Anyways I found and called on one fairly local to me. The guy was able to tell me that he honestly doesnt know much about it. It is a farmall A, not sure of year. Does not currently run but he has not looked into why at all. Hood is missing, but grill is intact and in good conition. Brakes are seized? He does not know if it is the brake lever it self or something to do with the actuall brakes. Also clutch condition is unknown. The good part is it has fairly nice tires and a nice plow set up on it. He told me he originally bought it to put the plow on his A and sell the tractor but never got around to it.

:help: When I go look at it, what should I look for? Any real specific deal maker or breakers?
Last edited by FKreider on Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Need advice on purchase of Farmall A

Postby Former Member » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:59 pm

I was once told that if the right(outside) brake pedal was loose and sloppy, the whole A was worn out.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:03 pm

There will be a lot of unknowns since the tractor is not running so the price would have to be very good. A's were prone to a freeze crack in the block. Not a serious issue since it was not structural but it is something to watch for and will be somewhat of an indicator of the care the tractor has had.
You will not be able to evaluate the drive train either so I guess it depends on the price and what kind of risk you are willing to take.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

FKreider
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FKreider » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Well the price is $600 but I havent been able to find anything running for a decent price around here. I will bring tools with me and just kind of check it all over.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Your best bet is to find a tractor in running/working condition. $600- may sound cheap. It's the unknown expense getting the tractor into working condition that is a major factor.

From the description - it's probably a parts tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

FKreider
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FKreider » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:38 pm

He was telling me about another one that he had that he was thinking about selling for $1400 that ran and drove. Im thinking your right and I should skip this one and look at his other one or wait even longer. I'll just need to find a plow seperatly

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Can you turn the engine with the hand crank?
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Dont buy an A if you plan to use it get a Super A and Dale is right if the right brake pedal is loose from side to side it is most likely wore out all over

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”