A couple months ago you may recall that I was taking a welding course at our local community college. It was something I had wanted to do for at least 7 or 8 years I guess and finally got around to it. And I don't like just putzsing around making make do projects.. I like to do something worthwhile which is why I made the bracket in the Wood Splitter Storage Bracket - Part 1
thread. To complete the project I needed to do a few other things. This thread is about the rest of the project and getting the bracket into service.
Since today was Canada's 144th Birthday, I decided to give myself a birthday present of sorts.
To refresh, this is what the splitter looks like on Ellie's back end
The box beam opening is where the storage bracket has to fit to make the project work.
The Inside Dimensions are 5-1/4"
1-1/4". Unfortunately the closest U channel I had access too was quite a bit larger at 5" x 1-3/4". This necessitated some layout and cutting to make it fit.
I laid out the required dimensions on the U channel and used my 4-1/2" grinder equipped with a cutting wheel and made the necessary cuts.
Switch back to a grinding wheel, take off the excess (my cut wasn't the best) and ease all the edges.
Since I still have yet to finish the insulation and ceiling of the pole barn and the scaffolding was still in place, I had to do a major rearrangement in the pole barn to clear the area I need to be able to mount the splitter where I wanted it. An hour after I started it was done. Needed some straightening up anyways and this was a good excuse.
Backed Ellie in to where I figured would be the best place to mount the bracket and started to lay out the location of the mounting holes for the bottom bracket. Leveled out the bracket and got two studs aligned.
Same for the upper bracket. Drilled the holes and mounted them with 5/16" x 3" Lag Bolts. Attached the chain.
Disconnected the hydraulic lines, undid the bolts on the drawbar and took the pin out of the rear rockshaft lift arm.
Now when I need the splitter all I gotta do is back up, align, back up some more, put in the bolts and pin, hook up the hydraulics and I am back in business splitting wood. In the meantime, I can do the rest of the things I need to do with Ellie this summer. Hopefully by the time fall rolls around I will have the ceiling done, wiring and new electric panel, sound system and a few other projects done
My Cub House is slowly taking shape
It took the better part of the day, probably about 6 hours to get it all done, but like splitting wood I am not in it for speed but more for enjoyment. This was a nice relaxing day and I was still able to get stuff done even though it rained a fair amount today.