This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

govenor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cuttman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47001
Tractors Owned: wd-45, farmall b, case 870, jd 60

govenor

Postby cuttman » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:01 am

Guys I have a 59 cub lo-boy and I just reseated the valves to give me good compression, now I was going to reset the timing and noticed the govenor is between the 2 and 8 and 3 and 9 position. I had seen in a prior topic that it should be in the 2 and 8 position. The cub ran before but just was weak on power. Do I need to adjust the govenor to 2 and 8 or will the position it is in now be ok, If so how do I adjust govenor. Thanks for the help. Gregg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: govenor

Postby challenger » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 am

Your description suggests the gear timing is off. This can be compensated for somewhat with a distributor, but not with a magneto. There are posts on the forum on how to do the timing, but briefly this is how it is done. Remove the governor, locate the timing 'dimple' mark on the governor gear. Rotate the engine to TDC on number one cylinder. Now, the fun begins. You have to find the cooresponding dimple on the idler gear that messes with the governor gear. Problem is, the governor goes in from the front and the mark on the idler gear is on the backside of the gear (idler gear side that faces to rear of tractor). Additionally the space between the engine casting and the backside of the idler gear is very close, so you must look down between the engine casting and the gear to find the mark. A good light source is a necessity and you may have to wipe off the face of the idler gear to help you locate it. Once you find it, trace the correct idler gear cog to the front side and mark the gear cog with chalk, so you can more readily match it to the governor gear cog as you install the governor. Good luck.

dennisbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62082
Tractors Owned: two 47 two 48 53 and a 72 another 53

Postby dennisbushnell » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:27 pm

It makes no diffrence with a distributor
You meet the nicest people on a cub

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Winfield Dave » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Here are a couple pics of the dimple...The magneto oil seal has been pulled rearward a little in these pics.
Governor timing mark (3).JPG

Governor timing mark (4).JPG
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Return to “Farmall Cub”