This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What To Do With Oil Pails That Are Always In The Way!

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

What To Do With Oil Pails That Are Always In The Way!

Postby Rudi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:09 pm

When I built the pole barn, I really thought that there would be lots of room to play in. Ooooops :oops: :big say what: Guess I kinda forgot that maxim - "the more room you have the faster you fill it up" :lol: Anyways, I keep tripping over my 20 litre/5 gal pails of lubricant etc., and I am tired of moving them around all of the time. But what do you do with it? Build a shelf? Could, but that takes up valuable room. One needs to conserve space so you don't have to keep building more barns :shock: After wracking my brain for a while it dawned on me that I could free up some space in my garden shed and solve my problem n the pole barn in one fell swoop.

Prior to getting our new side-by-side fridge with the in door Ice Maker and Chilled Filtered Water, we were buying 18 litre bottles of spring water. I had to find a solution to store the empties prior to pickup on the deck and that was taken care of by my Bottled Water supplier. He gave me 6 of the plastic cases that they use in the trucks to transport the bottles. We used them on the deck for probably 8 or 10 years. Then they got stuck in the garden shed for lack of place to store them and I dislike tossing out anything that might have a use down the road.

This is one of the cases:

Didn't realize that by gum a 20 litre/5 gal pail fit into one of these cases real slick -- who knew :big give up: So the trick was to figure out how to put them together and then install them somewhere accessible that would keep my lubricants out from underfoot. Took a few tries to figure out what the best solution would be primarily because of spacing. This is what I came up with.

From right to left, 30wt Oil, 80/90wt Gear Lube, Hy-Tran/Perma-Tran, 10W30 and last but not least my used oil pail :idea:

I still have to make 4 more of the caps with the spigots in them.

I am looking for a link to the spigots. I got them at Princess Auto.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02748

Re: What To Do With Oil Pails That Are Always In The Way!

Postby Jimdawg » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Looks sharp. I would be interested in the link for the spigot.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:26 am

Jimdawg wrote:Looks sharp. I would be interested in the link for the spigot.
try this
http://www.mcmaster.com/#drum-faucets/=d9td6m
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:50 am

Be carefull, the EPA would not like the way you are storing them, EZ to have a spill that way
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:50 am

Boss Hog wrote:Be carefull, the EPA would not like the way you are storing them, EZ to have a spill that way
Boss
Hopefully, that department will lose their funding with the 'new' budget. :roll:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:36 pm

EPA regulations/policies/procedures should probably be followed for those who are subject to the EPA rules. Since I live in a sovereign domminion, the EPA's policies etc., have no bearing. I do however store all of my POL products in accordance with all Canadian regulations (Navy trained :) ) and if there is a spill I have the appropriate materials to do the clean up. Also, not likely to have a spill since they are self closing faucets and they are secured. If anyone was worried about a spill simply put a small pan underneath when you are filling what ever container one would use to put the oil or whatever into the Cub. To my mind it would only be easy to have a spill if one didn't pay attention to what one was doing. Paying attention is the 1st part of doing Job#1 which is working safe :) and I spend a lot of time making sure that I work safe/work smart, which is why I am spending so much time setting up my pole barn. Has to be easy, safe and not detrimental to my health issues. Also I was addressing this part this afternoon out in the pole barn.

This is the Drum Faucet that I have purchased. And they are pretty similar to what is available from McMaster-Carr or other suppliers. Pretty generic.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Projects Forum”