This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

"Ol Whitey" Runs!

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

"Ol Whitey" Runs!

Postby Super A » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Although I have always thought it silly to name a tractor, "ol whitey" seems to fit. At any rate, we had a welcome thunderstorm blow in this evening, so I worked on my white demo Super A. I put some fresh oil in each cylinder, installed the new plugs, and after some hand cranking, she came to life with no knocks or unusual noises! Oil pressure gauge is questionable, but it does have some oil pressure. The governor doesn't seem very responsive. I can hear the driveshaft turning in the transmission so I am afraid the transmission is going to be a little noisy but will just have to wait and see.....

It sure is fun to get a "dead" one to run again.....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: "Ol Whitey" Runs!

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:03 am

Congratulations, Al.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155

Postby VinceD » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:58 pm

Congrats, Al. Yes, when a dead one comes back to life it does give one a great sense of accomplishment. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 pm

Well I probably crowed a little too quick, I couldn't get her to take off this evening. I think the carb has some issues, the float is wanting to stick and it floods way easy. Plus timing is a tad off. The hand crank tried to "kick back" on me so I quit before I hurt myself. Hopefully I can take another look tomorrow.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:11 am

Need some video of Ol' Whitey... I love to hear them come back to life!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:29 am

I got it going again this morning and actually drove it around a little bit. I am afraid the compression is pretty weak. I was trying to find TDC on #1 and even with a shot of oil in the cylinder, it was hard to detect it was coming up on compression.

It is making pretty good oil pressure with no knocks or other distressing noises. No bubbles in the coolant, etc. The transmission is VERY noisy, and there's even a slight knock in the transmission when it's just sitting. I drove it in reverse, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, and did not hear anything that sounds like broken teeth, but I expect it will at least need bearings throughout the transmission to calm it down.

Maybe I can get it cranked this evening or tomorrow and get my wife to take some video.

Al

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:37 am

If the tractor has been sitting and if you have determined that the valves are working, I'll bet that running a little seafoam in the gas and oil might loosen things up a little bit. Is it smoking a bunch or no?

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Super A wrote:I was trying to find TDC on #1 and even with a shot of oil in the cylinder, it was hard to detect it was coming up on compression.
Another way to find TDC - not sure if it applies to SA: An Alternative Take on Finding TDC When Timing A Cub
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:14 pm

WisconsinCubMan wrote:If the tractor has been sitting and if you have determined that the valves are working, I'll bet that running a little seafoam in the gas and oil might loosen things up a little bit. Is it smoking a bunch or no?

Mike in La Crosse, WI

It doesn't seem to be smoking much, and I put a lot of oil in the cylinders so I wonder if that's some of what I'm seeing. Engine hasn't run enough to come up to full operating temp yet. What's the recommended amount of seafoam to add to the oil without diluting it too much?

Al

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Super A wrote:What's the recommended amount of seafoam to add to the oil without diluting it too much?

Follow the recommendation on the can.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”