Well onto the 2nd part. In my mind I wanted to make sure that spills were kept to a minimum. Even before I started this project, spills were a concern especially since those pails are heavy and hard for me to hold up and pour the contents into a funnel propped up into a liter bottle or a 4 liter jug. Either way a mess waiting to happen. So this afternoon after I got the pump into the pond I started in on the rest of the project.
1st step was to make 3 more of the tops with the spigots or drum faucets as they are more properly known.
Find the center.
Use a 1" Forstner bit and drill the hole.
Thread the drum faucet into the top.
I wanted to make sure that there would be no leaks at this joint, so since I had a tube of Blue RTV Silicone that was hardening up, I decided that I would use that to make sure that the joint between the drum faucet and the plastic top was leak proof. So a small bead was placed around the base of the faucet where it meets the top.
The next step was to put em on. Since I don't currently have a 20 liter pail of Hy-Tran/Perma-Tran I made the top and installed the chain and hair pin. Just have to wait till I can get up to our CaseIH/Global/New Holland dealer to pick up a pail. That should keep me in fluids for a while.
Tighten until snug. I also decided that since there was a lock feature, I would take advantage of that. This would prevent any possible accidental release of lubricants that could make a mess of my nice floor
, so I took some hair pins and some left over scraps of light swing chain and voila! ... instant locks that don't get lost
The last thing that needs to be done was to make the fitting for the used oil container. I did that this afternoon as well. Good thing I have lots of parts left over from hydraulic, sprayer and other projects. This stuff comes in handy. Used a 1/2 NC" to 1/2" NPT adapter which I sealed in place and then added a 1/2" NPT to 3/4" NPT street elbow for the filler spout and the left over 3/4" NPT Pipe Cap for when the funnel is not being used.
Add a funnel on a chain and poof ... All Done
as Abby says
One of the side benefits of this project is that we all know buying in bulk can save you a fair amount of money. If I had to buy my lubricants in 4 liter jugs it would cost me about $20.00 more for the equivalent volume. So this is one way of having a little extra in the Cub Fund
Oh pay no attention to the temporary electrical. Hopefully it will be gone shortly. And no, there is no lubricants in the yellow pail