This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

O T... what critter is this?

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

O T... what critter is this?

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:35 pm

Here's how it happened... Marilyn called me on her cell phone and asked me to bring my camera. I'm slow, so it took me a bit. When I got there, there was a chance to get a great picture, but the !#$%^ camera batteries were too low, so I had to go after another set. By the time I got back the critter had made its' way into the bluebird box. I got a few pictures but none I'm proud of because he was hiding.

http://photos.toast.net/gwill/snake

I poked around at it, but only seemed to make him mad. I gave the camera to Marilyn and prodded the critter till he flew out of the box and escaped into the tall grass. The only clue I got was the rattling sound he made. I didn't know we had rattlers here in northern Ohio.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:56 pm

George that looks like a timber rattler that is claimed to be an endangered species in Ohio. Check out this artical.

http://herpcenter.ipfw.edu/index.htm?ht ... lesnake/&2
Then came Bronson

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:44 pm

George, you can just keep that critter up there in northern Ohio. We seldom see one down here and that's fine with me.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

'60_Lo-Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby '60_Lo-Boy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:01 pm

Bigdog wrote:George, you can just keep that critter up there in northern Ohio. We seldom see one down here and that's fine with me.

Amen.

although i did see a small garter snake last night.. cute little guy.. not cute enough to hold though... :lol:
Aaron.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:58 pm

We got em in Deleware county NY.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:00 pm

George did he go up the steel fence post or did he get in from the pine?

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 05, 2005 8:28 pm

beaconlight wrote:George did he go up the steel fence post or did he get in from the pine?

Bill

Bill,

I really don't know... I wondered that myself. What I do know is how he got down.. It was like a bungee jump without the bungee. :shock:

If I had known what he knew... how to rattle, I wouldn't have been so casual about getting so close.

We explained to our new neighbors with the three pesky, yappy chiwauwas (SP?) about the rattler and the red fox and the red tailed hawk. I don't think they will be coming over again very soon! 8)
George Willer

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:20 pm

They sort of like short hair sundried Possum? Seriously 3 little yippers? Do they have kids?
City people can be thoughtless and not know it. They just don't know.Some never will unfortunately. Bev and I bought our place 20 years ago. Walked the property line with our dog and she never left the place. Ginger could be chasing something and would stop at the line be it fence, stone wall or the street. She was kind of old but 5 years later did the same thing with the Lab and she never did either. Strange thing about Pokey don't let a man get out of a vehicle if Bev was alone on the place. Had to tie her up first or put her in the house. Could be a man been on the place a dozen times, If Bev invited him in to the house Pokey would nuzzle up to be petted. Strange, if I was home alone or with Bev she just nuzzled up. A woman get out and it was alright. Can't convince me about dumb animals. My neighbor has a keneland raises shepards and Joe wouldn't come near the house if Bev were alone. His shepards never crossed the street either.
At the time We had fields and no way to keep them from going to brush. I asked around and found a young farmer. Made a deal with him. Danny was near by. He hayed or planted corn on the 20 open acres for $1.00 a year. When I first met Danny he was kind of anxious. Turns out he pumped from a boxed in spring a ways from his house, no water and milking time. Danny went milking and a friend and I went pump fixing. Made no enemys by having water ready before milking was done. Eventually Danny no longer needed our fields and some one else is running sheep one of them now. We get chops or a leg every now and then. We have a 3 1/2 acre pond held in by a dam. I asked at the local rod and gun club and had a trapper for thank you too. No sense having the dam perforated. I was not in a position to help my self trapping. Course the trapper and his buddy are welcome to fish or hunt the place when ever they want.
Bill
I try to be a neighbor in the real sense of the word and have found good neighbors
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:40 pm

George. Nice pictures. Were the blue birds finished or just starting ........ OR did the snake do what happened to Donnie's silkie???
Ron

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:40 pm

Ron L wrote:George. Nice pictures. Were the blue birds finished or just starting ........ OR did the snake do what happened to Donnie's silkie???

Ron,

I'm disappointed that we don't have any bluebirds at all. The stupid english sparrows have claimed all the boxes... all 18 of them.
George Willer

David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

Postby David C » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:28 am

Sure am glad CUBFEST is at BIGDOGS this year :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
David
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:05 am

George I have found that if the boxes are close together. The sparrows in one keep them out of one within 100 feet. If I get blue birds which is a sometimes thing the sparrows and blue birds co exist quite well, with both fledging.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:41 pm

I got same exact boxes as George and all I get is sparrows.

Return to “Off Topic”